Niagara Bird And Reptile Sanctuary

Name
mick
Edit My Images
Yes
On a recent trip to Canada, I visited the Niagara Bird and Reptile Sanctuary, only uploaded a couple of pics from my trip so far but thought I would offer this one up for critique, as I rather like it, so would like some comments, good or bad.

any thoughts welcomed:

Iguana by mah_hah_bone, on Flickr

Last edited:
This is not as sharp as I would like :shrug: I think the focus was on the main body rather than the head, I would have preferred it to be on the head :D

I'm guessing it was very dark :shrug: I've checked out your settings and it shows

1/25 @ f/8, ISO800 I would have to suggest given the lens you were using you needed a shutter in the region of 1/100 of a second a good rule of thumb is to have a shutter double that of the focal length if shooting from the hand :D

Compositionally I would look at a closer crop (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

This is not as sharp as I would like :shrug: I think the focus was on the main body rather than the head, I would have preferred it to be on the head :D

I'm guessing it was very dark :shrug: I've checked out your settings and it shows

1/25 @ f/8, ISO800 I would have to suggest given the lens you were using you needed a shutter in the region of 1/100 of a second a good rule of thumb is to have a shutter double that of the focal length if shooting from the hand :D

Compositionally I would look at a closer crop (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

thanks for the feedback, yep it was a rather dark place so had to up the ISO to get round ridiculously long shutter times.

Ill bear that all in mind for next time, hopefully improve upon this effort, thanks :)

mick1985 said:
thanks for the feedback, yep it was a rather dark place so had to up the ISO to get round ridiculously long shutter times.

Ill bear that all in mind for next time, hopefully improve upon this effort, thanks :)

Sorry I should have added yeah f/8 is often the sweet spot for sharpness in lens but it cuts a lot of light out if you had been at say f/5.6 you may have got to 1/60-1/80th of a second (y) also you appear from your exif to be in single shot mode it would be worth considering multi shot and in low light longer shutter speeds firing off 4 or 5 shots (y) gives you a couple of shots to settle in and hopefully get a clear shot :D I've managed to get a useable photo at 1/30 @ 300mm so it is possible :D

Matt

Sorry I should have added yeah f/8 is often the sweet spot for sharpness in lens but it cuts a lot of light out if you had been at say f/5.6 you may have got to 1/60-1/80th of a second (y) also you appear from your exif to be in single shot mode it would be worth considering multi shot and in low light longer shutter speeds firing off 4 or 5 shots (y) gives you a couple of shots to settle in and hopefully get a clear shot :D I've managed to get a useable photo at 1/30 @ 300mm so it is possible :D

Matt

I was going to suggest the multi-shot trick too but Matt has beaten me to it. Defo looks like the focus was on his arm rather than the eye too which is a shame.

Back