Beginner Nice inheritance - but do I need all this?

Edit My Images
No
Hi All,

First n00b post here!

I've inherited a Canon EOS 1000D DSLR along with some lenses as follows;

Canon
1) 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS
2) 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 II
3) 80-200mm 4.5-5.6 II

Tamron
4) 70-300mm 4.0-5.6 LD

There is also a Lowe bag which doesn't quite accommodate the body and all the lenses.

My question is - do I really need all those lenses? The 300mm is quite large compared to the 200mm <- which is pretty compact and not much longer than the 18-55mm

Also 1) and 3) cover part of the same range as 2) so is there much point in keeping that?

Bear in my mind I know nothing about any of the above and am somewhat over whelmed with all the buttons etc

Last camera I had was probably 25 years ago [a Pentax ME I think?] and I have forgotten almost anything I learnt back then!

Thanks in advance of advice etc

Hello, and welcome to TP

My advice, put the18-55 on the camera, put everything else in a box, go out and learn how to use the camera, there are some simple automatic modes to get you started. Once you get into it, you can then work out what you want to keep and want you don't. None of the lenses are particularly valuable (you've inherited them anyway), so its not like you leaving lots of money tied up in that box of lenses.

And don't buy anything else, you have everything you need in order to learn how the camera functions!

Last edited:
Yes it covers from 18-300mm.

You will perhaps find that you have no interest in some of the focal range now but you can very quickly find yourself interested in different types of photography.

300mm on a crop sensor is good for birds around the garden ? something you may get interested in ( maybe not now in winter so much )

18mm is very good, the 28-80mm is a great general walk around range.

I would be thinking more like, what better options are there these days for these lenses, are there updated versions etc.

1 is the most useful 'everyday lens' covering wide angle to slightly 'zoomed in'.

3 and 4 are telephoto zooms for shots of people, sports, birds etc (and more besides). 4 gives you more 'zoom' so is more useful for birds, whereas 3 is a bit more compact. If you can see yourself shooting birds, sports, animals etc, keep 4. If you don't care so much about that and would rather save the weight and size, keep 3.

I am not convinced that a lens such as 2 is very useful on a crop sensor. Doesn't really work as a wide angle or a 'real' telephoto.

Keep them all, focal lengths overlapping is quite useful as it saves swapping lenses when you just need a slightly different view. It may not seem likely at the moment but the time will come when you want something a bit longer than 55 and a bit shorter than 80 which is where 2 will be useful.
As for an 'everyday lens', since the virus started last year my 70-300 has been on my camera every day for my walks round the local park.

Hello and welcome, you have some decent gear so get out and learn how to use it, good luck

Hello, and welcome to TP

My advice, put the18-55 on the camera, put everything else in a box, go out and learn how to use the camera, there are some simple automatic modes to get you started. Once you get into it, you can then work out what you want to keep and want you don't. None of the lenses are particularly valuable (you've inherited them anyway), so its not like you leaving lots of money tied up in that box of lenses.

And don't buy anything else, you have everything you need in order to learn how the camera functions!

+1 for this answer!

You're lucky to have those options open to you early on but that doesn't mean you need them all right now. Focus on learning to use the camera with the kit lens, then you'll discover what type of photography appeals to you, then you can move on to a different lens that better suits your purposes. Early on i spent around £1000 on a few lenses for my camera because i wasn't sure what i wanted to do and these days my £150 f1.8 50mm (nifty fifty) is on my camera 90% of the time! :banghead:

Back