NICE ONE!!!

Name
PHILIP
Edit My Images
No
Just got an email from Farsley Celtic football club and they have agreed to let me go down and photograph their home games, in return for free use of the images with credits bearing my details.

Now I know I'm not getting paid but this is perfect for me in order to get weekly experience, and the chance to be able to photograph a game in a proper (though small) stadium is well exciting.

Also I have now got full waterproofs so there is no stopping me now.:D

Just thought i'd share that with ya's. (y)

Some may flame you for it Phil

but this is exactly how i got my foot in the door. I had access to a decent standard of football every week to build up my skills and technique, without the pressure of wiring live.

Good luck with it and make the most of it :D

Just got an email from Farsley Celtic football club and they have agreed to let me go down and photograph their home games, in return for free use of the images with credits bearing my details.

Presumably you can sell them elsewhere though?

Yup

Practice makes perfect Phil :) you the camera settings you need so its just a case of getting games under your belt (y)

Congrats...It will eba good place to learn, without the pressure of having to deliver, and be fun!

But i'll sit back and watch the usual pro's wade in and have a go at you for agreeing to do it for free...

Local paper might be interested and if your team flukes a cup run, who knows. No-one will frown on you for letting the club use the images for free (it's certainly common enough) but the frowning starts when external commercial enterprises get the pictures for free.

Congrats...It will eba good place to learn, without the pressure of having to deliver, and be fun!

But i'll sit back and watch the usual pro's wade in and have a go at you for agreeing to do it for free...

Cheers Nick.

I'm ducking under my desk as I type, but I'm hoping most people will understand my angle on this one :shrug:

Local paper might be interested and if your team flukes a cup run, who knows. No-one will frown on you for letting the club use the images for free (it's certainly common enough) but the frowning starts when external commercial enterprises get the pictures for free.

Do you think I should make it clear to the club that they can use the images on my website for free etc, but if a paper wishes to use any of them then they should refer them to myself. :thinking:

Do you think I should make it clear to the club that they can use the images on my website for free etc, but if a paper wishes to use any of them then they should refer them to myself. :thinking:

Yeah, why not. Certainly can't hurt!

I would say this is almost certainly what you should do, and in writing too if possible (ie over email).

They may be helping you out in a 'you scratch my back' kind of way, but the photographs are still yours and certainly not theirs to be giving away.

As long as it is done cordially and up front, it shouldn't be a problem for the club to agree to it.

Why would the "pros" wade in, whilst Phil may not be getting a cash payment the club are allowing him pitchside access and as theyre using the images on their website theyre giving him exposure and a window for his work, you can't put a price on that and it's exactly how i started.

Good on ya Phil

who are you thinking/accusing?

I am with Andy and the others.. its exactly how I started wiht Accy stanley

Just got an email from Farsley Celtic football club and they have agreed to let me go down and photograph their home games

I have done farsley a couple of times... Unoftunatly the main paper is the yorkshire evening post run by jonston press.. dont know about anyone else but I cant get a penny out of them.. they own quite a few papers around the country... Even when they ask me for pictures (lancs evening post ect) they refuse to pay.. they come to me for pics so they must want them... but they dont get them ...

nice people at farsley when i went... conf playoffs in 2007

Cheers for all the encouragement guys (y)

my first game will be on the bank Holiday Monday at home to Dinnington Town (who are they?.....EXACTLY!!!) are the old milk advert. Classic :clap:

Anyway kitbag includes

1D3 + 300 2.8IS (with 1.4xtc)
1D3 + 70-200 2.8
17-40
monopod
stool
waterproofs for self and camera.
plenty of memory

think i've got it covered :thinking:

my first game will be on the bank Holiday Monday at home to Dinnington Town (who are they?.....EXACTLY!!!) are the old milk advert. Classic :clap:

well you just dropped off my crimbo card list .......

I have done farsley a couple of times... Unoftunatly the main paper is the yorkshire evening post run by jonston press.. dont know about anyone else but I cant get a penny out of them.. they own quite a few papers around the country... Even when they ask me for pictures (lancs evening post ect) they refuse to pay.. they come to me for pics so they must want them... but they dont get them ...

nice people at farsley when i went... conf playoffs in 2007
Funny that, i work for them almost every week and no problem, going rate for a freelancer submitting 6-10 images is £50 so theres no need to hang around all match, really late deadlines as well, 10pm sometimes, not bad especially as im already attending for my agency, somet for nowt as they say.

They have several staff togs but they can't cover everything

Funny that, i work for them almost every week and no problem, going rate for a freelancer submitting 6-10 images is £50 so theres no need to hang around all match, really late deadlines as well, 10pm sometimes, not bad especially as im already attending for my agency, somet for nowt as they say.

They have several staff togs but they can't cover everything

hmmm I have never dealt with yorkshire post.. just lancashire post and blackpool gaz .. both owned by same company and both refuse to pay even though they approach you..as both did in my case.. spoke to staffers and they say the company johnston press say no to freelancers... so i never bother....

now i know yorkshire post do.. then I may get in touch in future...ta :)

As others have said, well done.

I got my foot in the door at Doncaster RUFC and Doncaster RLFC by being a bit cheeky and asking, and have a similar arrangement with them as you do. Make sure you enjoy it, thats the biggest key thing.

hmmm I have never dealt with yorkshire post.. just lancashire post and blackpool gaz .. both owned by same company and both refuse to pay even though they approach you..as both did in my case.. spoke to staffers and they say the company johnston press say no to freelancers... so i never bother....

now i know yorkshire post do.. then I may get in touch in future...ta :)

I think different offices have different policies, i know a staffer who gets a half day rate for YP and a freelancer who gets paid per image published with no promises of any to be published working for one of the JP local weekly papers

nice one..farsley afc? is it the same team that beat Arnold Town 8-2 last week? i covered that game for the non-league. was a great game.

Congrats Phil & good luck. Kind regards Graham.
p.s.
Must say Tony I've never had a problem with the YP either & I believe ivoices I send go to the Head office so should cover all the group?

wouldnt have thort so....dataco?

for farsley.... they wish! :)

farsley arnt under any licence and your free to do what you like.. depending on your deal with club...

Last edited:
Good on you phil!

That's pretty much the same as the deal I have with the clubs I shoot. They can use my pics for the website(in fact I'm a webmaster) and the some marketing stuff(but they don't really do any) and I get the credit. If they want some for the paper or others, they have to come through me!

I can sell to whom I like... with a bit common sense obviously. I sold one to the Yellow Pages the other day for their guide to South East London and I have sold to players Mum's for their darling rugby playing sons christmas present. I'm talking Blackheath 1XV here not Juniors :)

Can't wait to see so shots.

I think different offices have different policies,

people where giving me (wrongly) the impression it was a johnston press thing...

I ahve now been on the YEP website and made a list of all the teams they cover.. if any stray into lancashire I will be onto them about freelance coverage... have you a contact i can have gary?

Johnston have paid me regular too, In fact I think its them they I have like a subbies code for any invoices.

Congrats Phil,

I have a similar agreement with England Basketball, if anyone contacts them for images i took, they forward them to me, has been a good thing toward the end of the year with the finals too.

Well done again.

That would be my exact recommendation. I think this is far more acceptable...as Andy has said (and Tony too) this is how they got a foot in the door. As long as you're not undercutting any other togs who are there then I think that should be fine.

Regular exposure to football is the way forward, and the income you can try and earn from selling to local publications is vital. Just don't forget about the local rags from the away teams...they will seldom send a tog long distances so you could make a killing.

Back