Daily Nick's 365 for 2012

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
No
I decided to do a 365 this year so that I could constantly challenge myself to do something new, and improve on things I've done before.

I started on Jan 1st, but didn't want to upload anything until I was sure I'd be giving this a proper go...

I'll do a quick catchup in the posts below... wish me luck! :help:

So, Day 1...

1/365 - The Photographer by Nick Tsiatinis, on Flickr

This was taken in Burbage Woods in Leicestershire, just a few miles from my house. The camera was tripodded up and I positioned my flashes appropriately. The camera was set to deliberately underexpose the ambient, and I used my pocketwizards to set the appropriate flash power.

Using my timer remote I set the self-timer for 10 seconds, started it and got into position!

Day 2

2/365 Winter Millstone Morning by Nick Tsiatinis, on Flickr

My passion is landscape photography, and I was determined to get some done before I headed back to the day job after the Christmas break. After doing a bit of research, and checking the weather forecast I headed to Stanage Edge in the Peak District for this shot.

More on my blog

Day 3

3/365 - Auburn Rose by Nick Tsiatinis, on Flickr

For day 3 I decided to go along to a group studio shoot in Tamworth. I'd been there a few times last year, but then moved away from stereotypical studio and went more natural light. Was good to get back in there.

But I wanted to try something a little different - so for this shot, instead of using the 5D2 and 24-70 I used my little x100 instead. It worked like a charm - with the shot above being a jpeg straight out of the camera!

Day 5

5/365 - Texture by Nick Tsiatinis, on Flickr

Another hectic day, not leaving much time to get my shot. Devoid of inspiration, I remembered I'd put a leaf in a book about 2 years ago - after locating the book I got the leaf, placed it on my Lencarta product table and fired my flash from below the table to highlight the texture in the leaf :)

Hi Tony.
Feel free to nick it mate! That's what these 365's are for after all - sharing ideas and getting inspiration. :)

As for the setup - it's easier to show...

jhvpsz.jpg

Essentially you're correct - a flash at the left, a flash at the right, a black background, shutter speed of 1/160th (as ambient doesn't matter), f/8 for depth of field and sharpness and flash settings to match (both 430exii's were on 1/16th iirc), triggered with Yongnuo's :)

Brilliant set there so far. Really like #2 and #4 though there isnt a bad one there. Look forward to seeing the others.
Thank you! If I can keep this up then the overall aim would be to produce a coffee table book at the end of the challenge - so I'm really trying to push myself to make it worthwhile :)

Ahhh, clever.

I'm used to stage lighting - not used to working on this small scale :)
Aah, I'm all about keeping things simple! In fact, I'm pretty sure it was a tutorial I read in the tutorials section on here a few years ago that gave me the info I needed to have a go myself :)

Day 12

12/365 - A load of balls by Nick Tsiatinis, on Flickr

I owed it to myself to get back out and get a proper shot for the project, and not a rushed thing like last night.

So, I was walking around Leicester Highcross with the wife this evening, looking for something interesting, and she pointed this out. A load of balls in holes in a metal sheet.

So, I took a few photos of it, and naturally the best photo was the first one I took, before I started trying.

And then I get home and notice that they are all eye shapes, with glass eyeballs, watching me photograph them.

Day 13

13/365 - Peckleton Starfield by Nick Tsiatinis, on Flickr

After an evening of shopping with the wife, I drove home and noticed a completely clear sky. I wasn't going to let that opportunity pass me by, so I headed out to take some star field photographs.

After about half an hour playing with the 5D Mark II I decided to get a quick shot with the Fuji x100. Turned out to be my favourite of the evening!

See my blog for a tutorial

So, day 14...

14/365 - The Curve by Nick Tsiatinis, on Flickr

Didn't have much time to myself today, so the subject of my attention tonight is the Curve - the big building on the right, which is a recently developed theatre in Leicester City centre. I just think it looks nice and contrasts well with the older building on the left - which (fact fans!) I did a recent hosiery company brochure shoot in!

Day 15

15/365 - Sinister by Nick Tsiatinis, on Flickr

He really isn't sinister - he's a good bloke, and when I need an assistant for weddings he's the man I go to.

But, when I get him in some old ruins and ask him to look sinister, that's what he does!

Lighting:

430exii camera left, zoomed to 80mm pointing at Will's face, another 430exii with a slight red gel in front of the camera, pointing at the gravestones.

Day 17, and I was petrified!

17/365 - Lurking in the Shadows by Nick Tsiatinis, on Flickr

I've decided to do a 'project within a project' and photograph trees at night surrounded by stars. This requires a clear night, and tonight was one.

However, to get to the tree I had in mind, I had to walk through a big park in the pitch black. As soon as I got on to the park I heard voices. I got straight off the park!
So I quickly went into a nearby playground (don't!) to get a star field shot. Just as I got my shot I heard voices again, closer. So I got the hell out of there. I was followed by a guy shining a torch at me, so I wielded my tripod by my side...

Fortunately I got home in one piece and with all my equipment, but I realised I still needed a shot for this evening. I didn't think too much of my playground photo, so decided to get something moody and atmospheric in an alleyway near my house.

And then these figures started walking towards me with their dog...

Day 18...

18/365 - A Moment of Self Indulgence by Nick Tsiatinis, on Flickr

A break from my usual photographs, because today I feel like indulging in a bit of self-pride.

Last year I undertook my first, real corporate job, photographing socks and lifestyle shoots for a local hosiery company called Pantherella. These guys make great, comfortable socks!

Anyway, today I received the completed brochures which are being sent to corporate buyers worldwide.

And every single photograph in these brochures (apart from one!) is mine. Days of model shoots, and arduous product shooting at home has resulted in something I'm damn proud of, so for today's pic, I'm indulging :)

Day 19...

19 365 Inspiring Professionals by Nick Tsiatinis, on Flickr

just an extremely quick shot before I go to bed.

I love my Lee filters - they're utterly brilliant and it's such a vast difference between them and my old Cokins that it's unreal.

Lee also do this book - it's a tenner plus delivery, direct from Lee themselves and I really think it's an essential guide to using filters (as well as some blatant product placement!). Gives you ideas and 'oh, why didn't I think of that!' moments using examples from top landscape pro's.

Surely worth the small outlay!

Nice set of images here Nick.

I especially like the last two. I like the purple glow in the backgrounds of them.

That shadow portrait is pretty striking too.

Keep up the good work!

Nice set of images here Nick.

I especially like the last two. I like the purple glow in the backgrounds of them.

That shadow portrait is pretty striking too.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers fella, I'll certainly give it a try :) I know I've not kept it up with day 20, which will follow shortly!

Day 20

20/365 - Stick 'em Up by Nick Tsiatinis, on Flickr

After an evening on the sofa with the wife, in front of the telly I nearly forgot today!

So, it was out with the old salt & pepper shakers to get this quick photo for this evening. lighting was the same as the previous shot, with a gridded Lencarta Elitepro on minimum power providing the key light.
This time though, a Canon 430EXII was underneath the product table with a peachy coloured Lee gel, just to add a bit of colour to the background. Yeah, it's a bit hot, but I'll tone it down next time!

12 is really interesting.

May have to look that book up or put it on the birthday list. I have just got some flash gels in a variety of colours so figuring them out at the moment.

20 may be a last minute but it works!

Thanks! Yeah, 12 is one of those things that you'd just dismiss on first glance (as I did until the wife insisted I photograph it!) but is quite interesting the more you look at it.

The book is useful - blatant advertising tool, and some of the filters (such as the coral ones) I can't see me ever using, but the bit about ND's and how you'd stack them etc is really quite insightful :)

As for my salt & pepper shakers - I think we'll be seeing a bit of them in this 365!

And as for day 21...

21/365 - M69 by Nick Tsiatinis, on Flickr

Another day where I've not been able to dedicate any time to the 365, so for today's shot, on the way back from some friends I hooked my x100 up to my fat gecko, stuck it on the passenger window of the wife's VW Beetle and took some long exposures on the way home while she was driving :)

Cliche-tastic!

Some nice photos there from the first three weeks. keep it up! Mmmmm, X100.

Some nice photos there from the first three weeks. keep it up! Mmmmm, X100.

Cheers fella - not finding it easy at the moment, but I'm off to Iceland on Thursday so when I do my catchup on Monday when I'm home I'm hoping for something a little special :D

Safe to say, so far I'd have failed if I didn't have the x100 with me most of the time!

Day 22

22/365 - // // // // by Nick Tsiatinis, on Flickr

Plans didn't quite work out today - with all the strong winds around here I wanted to get the Big Stopper out and get some dramatic b&w whooshing clouds... but all the clouds had whooshed away leaving nothing but pleasant blue skies!

Drat!

So on went the macro lens and I started hunting for detail shots!

Back