weekly Nick's 52 cameras in 52 weeks (ish) Camera 13 Added

Loving the week 8 photo Nick, really atmospeheric. I think some of our digital chums who spend their time arguing in the equipment section might be surprised at what all this old kit and stinky chemicals can do! ;)

I think some of our digital chums might be surprised at what all this old kit can do! ;)

Nowt wrong with old kit......I have to tell myself that now that I'm pushing 44!!:D :D :D

So although it’s now August in the real world in my world of 52cameras I lurch into March with two for the price of one. The superfast street machine that is the Ricoh 500 GX and the rather farty sounding moped that is the Konica C35. Both are small semi-automatic 35mm rangefinders.

Konica & Ricoh-3 by Raglansurf, on Flickr

KONICA C35-13 by Raglansurf, on Flickr

Ricoh 500GX-6 by Raglansurf, on Flickr

The reason that they are being posted together is that I split one film between the two of them, the first 16 shots taken on the Ricoh and the rest of the roll on the Konica. I loaded it up with cheap Lucky 100 b&w film and set off from my flat in West London to go and have a look at David Bailey's East End exhibition that was being held at Compressor House, in Docklands, next to Royal Albert DLR.

Ricoh 500GX Lucky 100-13 by Raglansurf, on Flickr

Konica C35 Lucky 100-15 by Raglansurf, on Flickr

Last edited:
Cameras and film look to have performed admirably! How is lucky brand film? Flimsy and easily scratched or relatively robust?

Just shows you dont have to spend a fortune on film to get good results.......Nice cameras too especially the Ricoh.....Me wants one!....omg more GAS :D :D

Cameras and film look to have performed admirably! How is lucky brand film? Flimsy and easily scratched or relatively robust?

Lucky 100 film is a little delicate but at £2 a roll it's a bloody bargain and worth having a stock of in the film cooling cupboard or fridge as the other half likes to call it.

Just shows you dont have to spend a fortune on film to get good results.......Nice cameras too especially the Ricoh.....Me wants one!....omg more GAS :D :D

Thanks Asha, it's a great little RF camera and small enough to fit in a jacket pocket and both the 500G and the multi-exposure GX crop up quite regularly on a certain auction site.

Sorry late to the party, I am new around here. What a fantastic thread. Some great images and just brilliant cameras out in the world large as life!

Making me feel guilty about my mechanical marvels all languishing in cupboards.

I need to shoot with them.

Sorry late to the party, I am new around here. What a fantastic thread. Some great images and just brilliant cameras out in the world large as life!

Making me feel guilty about my mechanical marvels all languishing in cupboards.

I need to shoot with them.

Do it Adrian, like it says on the blog, cameras die in display cabinets the way dogs die in hot cars.

Keep those cameras alive (y)

I'm another who appreciates this thread so keep it up Nick!
;)

I'm still using my film cameras as much as digital (maybe more) but lag behind in the developing and scanning stakes.

Huge backlog to clear at the moment.

The Bronica ETRS with a Zenza Bronica 50mm f2.8 lens, I tried hard to like this camera so I tried a few rolls of film through it, I tried it with the prism finder and hated it, I tried it with the WLF and hated it a little less but in the end it just had to go, so it's been sold but this is one of the images I did like.

Bronica ETRS HP5+-4
by Raglansurf, on Flickr

Bronica ETRS 50mm Ilford HP5+ West Wittering beach processed in Rodinal and scanned using a Nikon Coolscan 900

Bronica ETRS HP5+-1
by Raglansurf, on Flickr

Last edited:
It's number 13 and it's the gorgeous Yashica rangefinder, the Electro GTN with the absolutely wonderful Yashinon 45mm f1.7 lens.

Yashica Electro GTN -1
by Raglansurf, on Flickr

I loaded it up with Kodak Elite Chrome 100, rated it at 80ASA to give it a chance and took it down to the Bristol film meet and took some compulsory shots of other TP'ers

Film photographers scare away the locals.
by Raglansurf, on Flickr

More from Bristol's graffiti district

Yashica GTN Elite Chrome 100-19
by Raglansurf, on Flickr

Last edited:
What were the other guys shooting Nick??.....whatever it was must have been VERY interesting for them to be so engrosed not to be distracted by the blonde!!:D

I'm sure you've poached Robs grafitti shot and got the photo tints to it:p......You might just have to sell me that beautiful camera to help raise funds to pay Rob a settlement for copyright:D

Rob's shot is very similar to mine but mine is taken from a shorter perspective ;)

Slightly delayed thread revival but I've actually just sold an Electro 35 GTN and kind of regretted it as soon as it went. It did feel great in my hand with regards to size/weight and the rangefinder felt more accurate than the Olympus 35 Rangefinders I've used before. To console myself I've borrowed a couple of MF cameras from a friend of mine so am currently working through some expried film on a Mamiya 645 Pro and an amazing looking Kowa 6 :0) I'm hoping to develop a couple of films today so fingers crossed.

Cheers
Steve

So this is camera 14 and by my reckoning that puts me over a year behind the initial aim of 52 cameras in 52 weeks but only fractionally behind in my re-adjusted target of 52 cameras in 52 months.

The Kodak Retina IIIc is a small 35mm folding camera, it is a beautiful piece of engineering and everything about it screams quality. from the Schneider-Kreuznach 50mm f2 lens to the quirky but surprisingly efficient film counter that counts backwards from 36/24 to zero.

Last edited:
The continuation of all the cameras used part 3

Nick, came back to look at this wonderful thread... I know you've used a bunch of cameras since July last year, surely time for an update?

Maybe with the forum move, there's something odd about the images (or lack of them) in some of the posts on the first page...

Back