Nifty 50 options on Canon

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
I used the 50mm 1.8 and found it great but it felt very cheap and plastic.

What other 50mm options are there and what prices are they?

The Sigma 50mm f/1.4 is much bigger and heavier than the Canon 50mm f/1.4, and indeed much bigger than every other 50mm f/1.4 lens on the market. It has a 77mm filter thread, for heavens' sake! That's even bigger than the Canon 50mm f/1.2 L. It feels very well built, more so than the Canon.

DPReview has done a comparative test of 50mm f/1.4 lenses here.

if you're keeping to Canon then you could look for a 50mm f/1.8 mark I (although it was never called the mark I) probably around £100 or so. Could be quite a few years old but better build quality and a metal mount. The 50mm f/1.4 of course around £300 or so.
You could consider the 50mm f/2.5 macro at about £200 or just over, way under-rated lens although not true macro without the quite expensive adaptor. Or if you really want to push the boat out there's always the 50mm f/1.2 !

What Bill says. I had a mk1 50 which was superb and no-one could call it a cheap build lens. unfortunately they do fetch a high price.

If what you want is a better lens around 50mm, not necesarily with a mega wide aperture, then Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro is a fantastic little lens.

I second HoppyUK! I sold my 50mm 1.8 when I got the 60mm Macro and can't say that I miss it :)

I also agree about the 60mm EF-s Macro. It's a fantastic little lens. Small, light and relatively fast focusing and wondefully sharp even wide open. I found it close enough in focal length to a 50mm that I had no issues getting used to it. Best lens dedicated for "crop" cameras I ever used (which includes Canon 10-22mm, 17-55 f/2.8 and Sigma 30 f/1.4)

Back