'Nifty fifty' for a Nikon D90

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm thinking of getting a nifty fifty for my D90 to help with a project I am working on. However it struck me that with a crop frame sensor a 50mm lens would come out at 75mm.

So would I be better getting a 35mm lens to achieve the 50mm effect?

What's your experience been?

Yep. Grab yourself a Nikkor 35mm f1.8G DX Fantastic lens, and cheap too.

I'm thinking of getting a nifty fifty for my D90 to help with a project I am working on. However it struck me that with a crop frame sensor a 50mm lens would come out at 75mm.

So would I be better getting a 35mm lens to achieve the 50mm effect?

What's your experience been?

If you have a standard zoom see which focal length you like on the zoom lens, 35mm or 50mm. :shrug:

It's all down to personal choice, a lot of people feel the 50 on a crop sensor is too tight for indoor use but it all comes down to where and what you are shooting.

I have the 35mm 1.8 and a 50mm 1.4 and love both but use them for different scenarios.

Clarke

UNless that ondoor space is really tiny, the 50mm even on DX is completely fine. I've used the combination to take full length shots of the kids inside.

D90+ either 35mm [if you do need the bit of extra width] or 50mm = all anyone really needs. Unless you shoot sports or wildlife really.

Even outdoors a 50 is too long on a crop for me. Seem to fairly regularly not be able to fit everything in. I am now using a 23 and it is perfect for my needs.

If the project is portrait related go for the 50mm else go for the 35mm.

sep9001 said:
If the project is portrait related go for the 50mm else go for the 35mm.

The project is about recording old country crafts, so will be a mixture of portraits and contextual shots.

Back