Nifty Fifty Week 2022 Discussion Thread

Baloo

Pleurodelinae and proud
Name
Roger
Edit My Images
Yes
Admin sanctioned challenge
Post your images here https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/nifty-fifty-week-2022-image-thread.744666/post-9254711

Celebrating the Nifty Fifty a lens that for many of us was the standard lens when we started photography.

The idea is that for the week beginning 15th December to 22nd of December (week fifty) members can take and post pictures using the 50mm field of view that was the only one available to many of us when we first bought a camera. You can post your pictures in the image thread that will magically appear on Thursday 15th December and discuss the pictures in this thread.

Rules.

1. Pictures should be taken with a 50-55mm lens or equivalent. (Apc 28-35mm MFT 20-25mm).
2. Pictures should be taken during the week Thurs 15th December-22th December. I am running it Thursday to Thursday this year to coincide with the 52's Any number of pictures can be posted during the week by individual members. The thread will stay open for a few weeks later to allow the film buffs to practice their dark arts!
3. Pictures should not be cropped other than a bit of leveling. (its a fun challenge so play fair folks).
4. Please name your pictures to make it easier to discuss in the discussion thread. Your member name will do ie, Baloo No 1.
5. Don't have a 50mm lens, do not despair just set your zoom to 50mm or the equivalent above and snap away. I will be using an 18.5mm fixed lens which works out at 49mm!

That is it, hopefully we will have lots of images to celebrate the humble 50mm and a bit of banter in the discussion thread.

Any ideas or suggestions for rule changes should be discussed here and rules can be amended until the challenge starts.

As @sirch put it.
"Hopefully people will enter into the spirit of the challenge, i.e. shoot with a "standard" lens for the camera/sensor they are using. A "standard" lens being one that gives a field of view close to that of a human eye."

Whats this nifty fifty week lark all about then? by R Hillman, on Flickr

Last edited:
I’ll give this a go

Is there a set of rules? Can't see anything *obvious*.

I understand now - I have the op on ignore. Never mind.

Last edited:
Is there a set of rules? Can't see anything *obvious*.
The first post explains most things and we can alter those rules if anyone comes up with some good ideas. Totally for fun event.

I'm in - this year I even have a suitable lens!

Sounds like fun - count me in!!

Nearly time, just blowing the dust off my 50mm f1.4 prime.

I once took only this lens with me on a motorcycling holiday but found it hard to get a picture I liked. I saw the image, I raised the camera, and the viewfinder revealed a very disappointing vista which, while the same perspective, didn't give me the same scope as my eyes. Took me a while to get used to it and now I have to do it all again! Challenge accepted.

I did a post cover 35 photos I shot with the Fujifilm 35mm lens which melts my head when that equates closer to 50mm on full frame. I always wonder why there isn't just a standard field of view scale. Like, lenses for cropped sensors list as their equivalent.

Love this idea though, 50mm was the standard for decades.

Just dug out my Panasonic 25/1.4, first time its been on the camera for ages.

I'll enter this. It will be good to use my (neglected) NX11 with 30mm lens.

How do people feel about allowing comments in the photo thread , I think it might encourage more comment ?

How do people feel about allowing comments in the photo thread , I think it might encourage more comment ?
Maybe slightly negative (or wholly negative) comments might influence voters? I would go further to suggest that photo comps might do better if they were anonymous until the voting was complete.

Maybe slightly negative (or wholly negative) comments might influence voters? I would go further to suggest that photo comps might do better if they were anonymous until the voting was complete.
No voting on this one Dave its purely a bit of fun to celebrate the good old Fifty Mill.

I'll play :)

Off down to my old hometown for a Chrsitmas Do with my old work colleagues - and staying overnight. Fuji X-T4 locked and loaded with the 35mm F2 :)

Confirms my thoughts that I really don't enjoy using this focal length.
Probably a reason this lens has not been used for a long while and probably won't again for ages.
Much more at home with 35mm or less, 24mm is probably the sweet spot for me.

Confirms my thoughts that I really don't enjoy using this focal length.
Probably a reason this lens has not been used for a long while and probably won't again for ages.
Much more at home with 35mm or less, 24mm is probably the sweet spot for me.
I agree (except in Medium Format) but it's a fun challenge so.......... :banana:

I'd forgotten after all these years what a cracking lens the Nikkor 50mm f1.4 actually is, and so light!

My sincere apologies I got taken ill Thursday night and have not been near a computer since, hope to get out today and get at least one picture.

I've been knocked for 6 by a lurgi-initiated chest infection since Sunday, so not able to participate this time sadly. Was going to use the Olly EM1Mk2 with 25mm fixed lens, with film taken on Pentax LX with 50mm lens; Hopefully when I'm back up to scratch I'll still go out to do this, just for the craic.

Likewise, I've got a couple of photos, but have not had a chance to get them off the card, as been so tired.

Annoyingly the one time I went for a walk in the woods with just my nifty 35, rather than my long lens, there was a squirrel posing perfectly on a branch for me.

The weather has been poor this past week but I've managed to submit a few (OK 2 were of cats so not exactly creative).
I've enjoyed this little challenge and will try to get another tomorrow before the time is up.

I was planning to go into London on a photography mission (not only with the 50mm) but the rail strikes have scuppered that.

Last edited:
I was out this Tuesday for my usual Dartmoor Photowalk, here are 2 that were taken at the APSC and Digital Med Format equivalents to 50mm.

X-T2 at 32.1mm (48mm FF equiv)

GFX 50S at 64mm (50.56mm FF equiv).

Edit, oops put the shots in the wrong thread, rectified now.

Last edited:
this was a fun project, I was filming a drone lightshow yesterday by 50mm was too tight from the filming spot so I've entered a pic from downtown on the christmas circus that sets up on an island in the river every year.

the nifty fifty canon 50mm f1.8 was the first prime I purchased and I still have, it's a classic. love it.

Back