Night class

sue

Edit My Images
Yes
Would like to do a photography course (ans BSL) at night class but what with working shifts cant be sure I will get there every week. Anyone any ideas how I could do something like this without having to attend every week.

Sue,

Perhaps not quite what you're looking for, but what about an on line course?

I've seen a couple advertised in the photography mags but they were very expensive, but they might be others at a more reasonable price..

Also my local college do one day courses on photography...that might be worth looking into as well..

Regards,

Pete

My boss is doing a distance learning course with the OCA, the ones that always advertise in PP. He says it's brilliant and his tutor has even invited him down to his studio for lessons in studio photography at a reduced rate. Pricey though, but there is always a discount code somewhere in PP and it's more frexible timings wise than an attendance course.

betterphoto.com has a large range of classes. Also, do you have a camera club nearby? The one in my area has classes and lectures and is on a drop-in basis.

Anybody been on one of the training courses mentioned in the paperwork you get when you buy a Canon Camera? Can't remember their name right now, but they are based in Huntingdon, Cambs i think....

Well I popped along to a local college this evening at the invitation of the tutor. Part of me really wants to join the A level course (I'd actually like to go over some of the basics) but, Im a bit surprised its all analogue. Im not opposed to analogue but, why are they so opposed to digital?
Id like to do some kind of structured course but, not sure I want to spend every Monday of the next 32 weeks in a darkroom. I know Ill never print my own pictures outside of that course, so not sure it makes any sense to go on it (as well as fork out for another camera)
If anybody actually goes on one of the above courses, or any other good digital course, Id really like to hear about it too.

(Hope you dont mind me gatecrashing your thread, Sue.)

I was booked onto a course at me local college called ' Digital Photo Imaging Award ABC'. Was due to start last Monday (notice all the past tense). Then last Monday morning I gets a letter from the collage saying the course had been canceled due to under subscription. Guess who was not a happy bunny :thumbsdown: :bang:

I had a look in North Cumbria but couldn't find any photography classes of any note.

So why don't we all work on http://www.morguefile.com/archive/classroom.php ?

What do you think about us doing a class - lets say for a month of so and having a bit on the forum for our interpretations? I know its not got a qualification but it might be a way of us all working together to help each other.

Allan

An interesting idea that. The only thing I cant make up my mind about is how 'she' will respond to a crowd of (blasphemy coming up ! ) 'Digital users' taking on her course :shrug:

I attended the first class of my NCFE Level 1 course on Wednesday and thoroughly enjoyed it. The course is going to be mainly wet black and white photography which I'm actually looking forward to especially after we got to make a photogram in the darkroom. The teacher come from a fine art background as well as photography so she want to teach us how to see photo's in the orld around us and how to compose them from an art point of view, this is exactly what I was after :)

So now I need to scour ebay for a cheap EOS file camera.

Count me in on the TP class. Maybe we could talk the mods into getting it sticky in a special spot.

On a completely different topic do you know that in the US we can bath tissue TP so when I say things like that I think of TPing cars and houses on halloween. Definitely not a brittish thing to do.

I attended the first class of my NCFE Level 1 course on Wednesday and thoroughly enjoyed it. The course is going to be mainly wet black and white photography which I'm actually looking forward to especially after we got to make a photogram in the darkroom. The teacher come from a fine art background as well as photography so she want to teach us how to see photo's in the orld around us and how to compose them from an art point of view, this is exactly what I was after :)

So now I need to scour ebay for a cheap EOS file camera.
This is what the tut said to me also... his exact words were 'after a few classes here, youll never look at the world in the same way again', hmmm!
Part of me really wants to get back to the basics as I feel I have so many gaps, part of me feels the college is stuck in a time warp and the cost of another camera on top of all those rolls of film isnt particularly appealing to me right now. I cant understand why there isnt a good college course teaching digi with just a touch of 'wet photography' surely the demand would be higher, as this is the way it is in the 'real world' and not the other way around.
Grrr! can you tell I feel frustrated!

This is what the tut said to me also... his exact words were 'after a few classes here, youll never look at the world in the same way again', hmmm!
Part of me really wants to get back to the basics as I feel I have so many gaps, part of me feels the college is stuck in a time warp and the cost of another camera on top of all those rolls of film isnt particularly appealing to me right now. I cant understand why there isnt a good college course teaching digi with just a touch of 'wet photography' surely the demand would be higher, as this is the way it is in the 'real world' and not the other way around.
Grrr! can you tell I feel frustrated!

Those was my thoughts too before I went on the first night but I have to admit I enjoyed the darkroom stuff and I'm looking forward to doing some more. The course is really about taking photo's and getting composotion right it just happens to be done with B&W film which we will develop/print ourselves.

NP youre probably right!
Im still trying to decide whether to go back or not on Monday, composition isnt my strongest point so I know I would gain something from the classes.
In the short term I have a few pressing weeks ahead but if I could get passed that, all there is left to stop me, is the buying of a camera that I know I wont use outside ofthe course.
If I dont go back, Id still be very interested in hearing how you progress with the course and your enjoyment of it .... who knows ... I may end up doing it at a later date.

You may find the college has cameras that they can lend you our local college does, all you do is sign a form saying if you break it you pay for it, they aren't expensive cameras either. I could have done this but they had limited numbers and no Canon's left so I thought I'd go buy a cheap EOS somewhere and then at least I can use my own lenses.

Back