Night Flying - One more 'HUD Shot' added to first post

Edit My Images
Yes
Evening all,

Something slightly different, I wasn't sure if these lived in this section or Landscapes.

I'd be interested to know what you all think of these.

Copy of Night flying 1 Dec 11 005b by StampedeT2, on Flickr

Copy of Night flying 1 Dec 11 013 by StampedeT2, on Flickr

Copy of Night flying 1 Dec 11 009 by StampedeT2, on Flickr

Copy of Night flying 1 Dec 11 006 by StampedeT2, on Flickr

****** This HUD shot has been added as there was a request for a shot through the HUD that had a bit more going on! **********

A ir to Air 7 Dec 11 S95 (15)b by StampedeT2, on Flickr

Specialman - Enjoy buddy!(y)

Regards,

Cheesy

Last edited:
What a great set of shots taken from a location most of us can only dream of.

Lucky man

Mmmmmmm, I would like to comment however I am full of envy beans!!!

Honestly, they are a great set and I always enjoy looking at shots like these.

:)

yep they all pretty much work for me.............

some of the horizons need a tweak though...:cautious::exit:

Particularly 3 & 4. :LOL:

I assumed the instructor sat in the back.....or are they actually back sheet shots?

yep they all pretty much work for me.............

some of the horizons need a tweak though...:cautious::exit:

Particularly 3 & 4. :LOL:

I assumed the instructor sat in the back.....or are they actually back sheet shots?

These are taken from the front! I'll endeavor to do a better job with the horizons next time! (y)

Cheesy

These are taken from the front! I'll endeavor to do a better job with the horizons next time! (y)

Cheesy

Thought as much....

I'll let you off on the horizons as they are so far off to be accepted as "motorsport quirky jaunty angles."... (y)

Seriously some very nice pics and I think I speak for most of us on here when I say envious of the opportunity you have to get this sort of pic! (y)(y)(y)(y)

Great shots I take it that it comes with hands free steering then lol

At least the pitot is on the horizon - I hate to think what comments you'd get if it was off. :D

Having been up there around the same time, albeit in a larger frame (aircraft not me, before the wisecracks start), it's a whole different world. Some nice captures. Any way the clouds can be defined a little more? They seem to be a bit "lost" but I know exposure is a bu**er when trying to get 2 shots - 1 for cloud and one for cockpit..

Nice, if you cant have fun with horizons when you're flying a jet then when can you :shrug: i want to see an inverted shot ....or could you get another jet up there and go canopy to canopy like top gun...or eject and get an exterior shot.....ok i get carried away!.

Nice, if you cant have fun with horizons when you're flying a jet then when can you :shrug: i want to see an inverted shot ....or could you get another jet up there and go canopy to canopy like top gun...or eject and get an exterior shot.....ok i get carried away!.

Look at my flickr site for air to air images. Inverted shots would have been tricky at the height I was at, plus I was solo.

Thanks one and all for the positive comments.

Cheesy

Look at my flickr site for air to air images. Inverted shots would have been tricky at the height I was at, plus I was solo.

Thanks one and all for the positive comments.

Cheesy

Great to see these images. Sort of stuff that the rest of us will never get to see. I appreciate you posting them.

For us wannabes, how about some more details about the sorte etc :) ?

Cheers.

Dav

For us wannabes, how about some more details about the sorte etc :) ?

Cheers.

Dav

No problems, it was a sortie to regain my night currency. I flew a night sortie in the sim the previous day as part of that currency. The sortie itself was whats known as a day-into-night sortie, which does exactly what it says on the tin. I got airborne at about 4pm, climbed to 36000', and watched the sun set. I stuck the autopilot in to take these shots (autopilot engaged is denoted by the <-o-> symbol in the centre of the HUD). Once the sun set I returned to base for a couple of instrument approaches and some night visual circuits.

Cheesy

I love the fact that you have your camera up there while you're flying but that isn't enough for me to accept these as anything more than snaps. They need that element that gives them purpose and I think the only thing that can be would be the jets of another plane. I understand that the logistics to make that happen might be hard but without something to draw the eye in, for me they are just sunsets.

Great photographs if flying an aircraft isn't hard enough you've taken some brilliant photographs as well !. I'm surprised someone haven't asked what sort of aircraft are you in ?

I love the fact that you have your camera up there while you're flying but that isn't enough for me to accept these as anything more than snaps. They need that element that gives them purpose and I think the only thing that can be would be the jets of another plane. I understand that the logistics to make that happen might be hard but without something to draw the eye in, for me they are just sunsets.

Well, I'm not going to bite, needless to say I disagree with you. Maybe I find them interesting because I know what is going on, but I can't believe that the host of positive comments come from aviation experts!

Blank_Canvas: These were taken with the autopilot engaged (see my previous post) and the aircraft is the Hawk T2, more shots of which can be seen at my Flickr site.

Well, I'm not going to bite, needless to say I disagree with you. Maybe I find them interesting because I know what is going on, but I can't believe that the host of positive comments come from aviation experts!

Blank_Canvas: These were taken with the autopilot engaged (see my previous post) and the aircraft is the Hawk T2, more shots of which can be seen at my Flickr site.

This wasn't aimed as an attack - as i said, I love the fact you take your camera up with you and I've seen some great shots (like this, this and this, to highlight just a few) that you've done before from the cockpit. I just don't think these are anything more than nice sunsets... :)

After all, you did say:

.....I'd be interested to know what you all think of these....

Last edited:
Cheesy, had a look through your Flickr steam and the hawk shots just look great. There are also some shots at night of a hawk being prepped - stunning.

I do envy how you spend your Thursday nights though :) Beats watching emmerdale

Last edited:
Nice gallery, only slight complaint though, I can see why you do it but the copyright bit straight through the centre of the frame on most pictures ruins it for me. Like I say, I understand the reasoning but it ruins your flickr sets for me.

Nice gallery, only slight complaint though, I can see why you do it but the copyright bit straight through the centre of the frame on most pictures ruins it for me. Like I say, I understand the reasoning but it ruins your flickr sets for me.

Hi Steve, it's a fair point and a perennial complaint about my work. I am playing with the idea of resubmitting to Flickr the older images that are less commercially viable without the watermark. Also, I have significantly toned down the watermark since my earlier days.

Cheesy

No problems, it was a sortie to regain my night currency. I flew a night sortie in the sim the previous day as part of that currency. The sortie itself was whats known as a day-into-night sortie, which does exactly what it says on the tin. I got airborne at about 4pm, climbed to 36000', and watched the sun set. I stuck the autopilot in to take these shots (autopilot engaged is denoted by the <-o-> symbol in the centre of the HUD). Once the sun set I returned to base for a couple of instrument approaches and some night visual circuits.

Cheesy

(y) Thank you!

Next post please!!!!! :)

Cheesy - just out of interest, is this common practise amongst the pilots? Are you all photo-mad or is it just you who takes a camera up with you?

Just me that is photo mad. I don't always take a camera flying! For reference, the sortie always comes first, the photos are a distant second and only happen if:

1. The images are appropriate wrt security and showing the Service in a good light.
2. It is safe to take them.
3. Taking them does not distract from or diminish the sortie being flown in any way.

Further questions of a professional nature should probably be routed via PMs.

Hope that helps,

Cheesy

I love all of these, I don't like being on planes, but it would be worth it to get shots like this.

Do you have to get these photos cleared before the public can see them?

Love them by the way and very jealous!

Do you have to get these photos cleared before the public can see them?

Love them by the way and very jealous!

A previous Commanding Officer told me to ask myself the simple question, 'Could your photos endanger the security of individual Service personel, the Service in general or the country?'

If the answer is yes to any of these I don't post. In all fairness, if the anwer is yes I probably wouldn't have taken the shot in the first place!

Regards,

Cheesy

A previous Commanding Officer told me to ask myself the simple question, 'Could your photos endanger the security of individual Service personel, the Service in general or the country?'

If the answer is yes to any of these I don't post. In all fairness, if the anwer is yes I probably wouldn't have taken the shot in the first place!

Regards,

Cheesy

No breech of OPSEC here Cheesy ! (y)

Back