Night Photography from new member

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could be that I just find the subject boring, but they aren't very interesting to me.....they don't appear to have any specific focal point, nor are they framed very well, in my opinion. Not much else I can add to be honest.

Having had a quick look at your website, I'm struggling to see why you posted these examples as you have some much better photos to share.....:thinking:

I disagree, nor could I be convinced in any of the examples given.
This might not be an interesting place for me after all.

surely every photo needs a prominent feature to work, but depending on the style the nature of those feature differ. A feature is much more than just the subject. In the above shown photographs that was clearly the case. btw, bright lighted bridges and their reflections in water for instances are no prominent features to me. I am not trying to create postcards, that's a whole different style.

Last edited:
I disagree, nor could I be convinced in any of the examples given.
This might not be an interesting place for me after all.

Ah, so you're only looking for people to say nice things about your photos. And if anyone says they aren't perfect, in your opinion, those people are wrong.

I don't think you'll last very long around here if that's your attitude.

Hopefully you will take the well meaning critique offered here, learn from it, and improve your photography.

I was just looking for some interesting comments, didn't have to be nice but at least meaningfull.

Last edited:
I saw them before you removed the photos please put them back as its a shame to spoil a thread

The first I rather liked but it really would have been much better with the white balance corrected, I think I'd have also lost some of the less interesting foreground, a lower PoV would have really set it off, the reason why I liked was it gave an impression of piece and quite in a place that would normally be a hive of activity..

Sorry to say I didn't really feel all that moved by the second and third image there was for me no real point of interest in the frame to catch my attention

On the positive you'd really done well at managing your exposure which is never the easiest thing to archive with night photography :)

Matt

indeed you have well noticed I am trying to create a mood of magic-realism, an abandoned world but not in the usual "worn-out abandoned-style", but in a new one, a clean one (a little like the hyperrealistic painters did)

in the first image the colours were not edited at all, I will think about that balance. I follow your point regarding the foreground, however although it's a pretty empty place which usually does not benifit to a picture, it does help creating the desired atmosphere.

Last edited:
I dont mean to sound rude but what's the point in asking for feedback if you are just going to disagree? Take it on the chin. Nobody is going to pull the wool over your eyes here and tell you everything you want to hear. I hope you don't think I'm being nasty, I'm not. I'm just saying that if you don't want critique, don't put them in the critique section ;-)

Last edited:
They are a bit featureless to be honest

The all appear in focus and the exposures seem ok but I don't really see anything in them that draws my eye and generates interest. If you were set on shooting those subjects I would suggest finding some more unusual angles

You may be best not posting in the critique section if you are going to be very defensive when anyone offers advice. You could take an excellent picture but some won't like it, if you can't accept that don't post them up

Nick , I am not defensive.
But when I come to a forum, and get such comments in the beginning, comments which don't give any interesting technical input... , then I asked myself "hmmm, what does he means ?" My first reaction is checking out this persons own work, as I assume that will convince me of the arguments that were not clearly stated. When at that point I tumble upon postcards, well than that really kills all my interest.
I really do not mind hard critique, but personally I believe before given such to anyone one better has either very good insight and capability to explain or strong personal material to convince.
"the take it on the chin" attitude does not sound very mature to me, and I am really not interested in such conversations.

Last edited:
I really do not mind hard critique, but personally I believe before given such to anyone one better has either very good insight and capability to explain or strong personal material to convince.
"the take it on the chin" attitude does not sound very mature to me, and I am really not interested in such conversations.

That's your opinion.

I was merely offering an honest and relevant critique. If you have looked at my photos and don't think they are up to scratch then that's fine, I can take it.

Like I said I wasn't being nasty, or immature for that matter.

Get some more pics up for us to look at there's some decent pics on your website.

Last edited:
I am someone that loves night photography and does a lot of it. My problem with these images is not to do with framing, balance, etc. It's just that there is nothing of interest to see. The subject matter is not interesting nor engaging.
I look forward to seeing your future posts.

I just did Matt (as well as deleted my somehow agitated reaction), highly appreciated your politeness.

indeed you have noticed one of the main subjects in 90% of my pictures: trying to create a mood of magic-realism, an abandoned world but not in the usual "worn-out abandoned-style", but in a new one, a clean one (a little like the hyperrealistic painters did)

in the first images the colours were not edited at all. I follow your point regarding the foreground, however although it's a pretty empty place which usually does not benifit to a picture, it does help creating the desired atmosphere.

personally the second is my favourite, I do realise that is a persoanl view, and most won't agree. it's a very strange one, almost like a wrongly taken shot, missing all kind of parts, but when looking better it is balanced and not taken random.

the third, I do agree, is the less interesting, to call that one rather boring would not be undeserved, however purely from technical poiint of view, the light and colours are not all that bad, as you kindly spotted.

OK guys, seems like everyone has got off on the wrong foot here so can I suggest that we draw a line under it and start again?
Abrimont, the piece that you've written above goes a long way to explaining what you were aiming to achieve in these photos - it would be great if you could have included something like that in your OP so that people could consider it when offering you feedback and critique. The more information posters have from you, the more relevant their feedback will be.

I did really like the first one.... it gives an eeire, abandoned feeling in a way....the other two look 'busy'.... they're interesting in an odd way.....

My problem with these images is not to do with framing, balance, etc. It's just that there is nothing of interest to see. The subject matter is not interesting nor engaging.
Thank you for your comment Ricardo, I noticed you liked night photographing yourself. I understand your point, and what you seek. However I am very much focussed on other parts of a photograph. Usually it is mostly about composition and contrast to me, but the shown examples are different, as I only recently started with Night photography I was focussed on the combination of light and colour and didn't take too much effort on the compo, I must admit, as long as it didn't bother I was satisfied for now. I believe we might look different on photography, a subject for me is mostly irrelevant. Ricardo, you gotta check out Matt's website, I find his work very interesting for anyone interested in Night photography.

appologies Sarah.
If it's one thing I really didn't want to start it's this kind of talk.
I am sure there are a lot of nice people here, and some very professional ones too (some of Matt photos are very very strong).
However, I might have just had bad luck, which probably gave me a wrong impression, however it spoiled all the fun for me. I'll leave a smaller version of the photos out of courtesy.

Last edited:
appologies Sarah.
If it's one thing I really didn't want to start it's this kind of talk.
I am sure there ar a lot of nice people here, and some very professional ones too (some of Matt photos are very very strong).
However, I might have just had bad luck stumbled in the very beginning upon the two site loudmouths, which probably gave me a wrong impression, however it spoiled all the fun for me. I'll leave a smaller version of the photos out of courtesy but won't be back.

That's a shame. I'd have liked to have seen more.

It is a shame.
I think you'll be losing out on a great community and chance to talk to like-minded people, but of course that decision is yours.

In fairness, I don't think that the comments that you received about the photos were particularly rude or aggressive - perhaps more a case of interpretation and how the written word comes across on a forum.
This thread just shows how quickly a simple misunderstanding can escalate into a much bigger issue than it needs to be.

The offer of putting this all behind us and moving on with a fresh start is still there though and as said, you'd be more than welcome as a part of the community if you decide to stay.

Keep on biting Phil.

p.s.: thanks Solo, I am aware they are far from perfect, couldn't be as it was but my second night shooting and am still exploring the potential of the style. But you noticed well my intented atmosphere. "Odd" is a very polite way to say they could improve in order to appeal more, I agree with you. The concept I use does has indeed a downfall, it lacks dynamic, it's a choice made but has it's consequences. I will also start another genre with dynamic subjects (like the trail stuff etc).

Last edited:
Keep on biting Phil.

p.s.: thanks Solo, I am aware they are far from perfect, couldn't be as it was but my second night shooting. But you noticed well my intented atmosphere. "Odd" is a very polite way to say they could improve in order to appeal more, I agree with you. The concept I use does has indeed a downfall, it lacks dynamic, it's a choice made but has it's consequences. I will also start another genre with dynamic subjects (like the trail versions etc).

No, I used the word 'odd' because I couldn't put my finger on why I found them interesting..... being more 'dynamic' may have made them less interesting for me, as then they'd be the same as everyone else's images.

Don't listen to these jokers, I loved the photos. Keep up the good work!

All the best

dear Solo,
I was a little joking about the "odd".
Indeed, trying to make something different seems for me an important issue when working on any creative level. I agree trying to include dynamic in these photos wouldn't work, if I want to improve it seems I can only work on a more challenging compo. (I can't find significant flaws in the colorcapturing and lighting). I will have to keep those two styles seperated and don't mix.
But from a learning point, it might be required to try out other stuff as well. The challenge will be to make something very different by using those dynamic techniques, won't be easy but a nice challenge to work on. In general those kind of photos don't interest me either, but I saw one stunning photo from Matt on his website that convinced me it does have potential to go a lot further and more exciting than usually is done.

thanks John for your kind support, but I have to be realistic, just started this and can't be satisfied to soon, there still must be a lot of potential to grow, would be really sad it that wasn't -).

Last edited:
Don't listen to these jokers, I loved the photos. Keep up the good work!

All the best

John, I don't think referring to us as jokers is warranted, constructive or in the spirit of the forum.

Abrimont, I'm glad you've decided to stick around (y)

dear Solo,
I was a little joking about the "odd".
Indeed, trying to make something different seems for me an important issue when working on any creative level. I agree trying to include dynamic in these photos wouldn't work, if I want to improve it seems I can only work on a more challenging compo. (I can't find significant flaws in the lighting). I will have to keep those two styles seperated and don't mix.
But from a learning point, it might be required to ty out other stuff as well. The challenge will be to make something very different by using those dynamic techniques, won't be easy but a nice challenge to work on. In general those photos don't interested me either, but I saw one photo from Matt on his website that convinced me it does has potential to go a lot further and more exciting than usually is done.

thanks John for your kind support, but I have to be realistic, just started this and can't be satisfied to soon, there still must be a lot of potential to grow.

Then I look forward to seeing what else you have to offer.....

that might take a while, it's a lot easier to type this than to actually deliver -)
I'll have to think hard about how to do it.

p.s.: Ricardo, I'll sweat it out a little longer and try to behave by using the ignore option instead when it's usefull.

Last edited:
SarahLee, i have to say that i did find the first comment made by Slimbert shockingly rude. To use words like "boring" and "uninteresting" to describe a newbies FIRST POST and to sum up with "nothing more i can add" is unnecessarily blunt and shows a distinct lack of tact on Damien's part. Newcomers should be encouraged to post here not shot down in such a blunt shower of negativity.

Disgusting.

If you were set on shooting those subjects I would suggest finding some more unusual angles
I understand and share that view.
The problem lies within the subject. This photo is taken in one of Europe's main ports, which since 2001 is highly secured and restricted. Probably also to disincourage smugglers. These sites are not accessable and enclosed by high fences. To take these photographs I had to use a zoom lens at it's maximum range and place it between the holes of the iron wires, with only an inche of room to move, so the angle wasn't really any choice. But the angle is indeed unfortunately not the most interesting, most reflected in the third image given it a rather classic postcard-like character. Not my usual preference as well.

Last edited:
SarahLee, i have to say that i did find the first comment made by Slimbert shockingly rude. To use words like "boring" and "uninteresting" to describe a newbies FIRST POST and to sum up with "nothing more i can add" is unnecessarily blunt and shows a distinct lack of tact on Damien's part. Newcomers should be encouraged to post here not shot down in such a blunt shower of negativity.

Disgusting.

For starters, I didn't use the word "uninteresting" at all, so please don't misquote me.

Also, although it's now been removed, the TS said "feel free to comment". So I did. With my subjective opinion. I wasn't rude, I just gave my opinion, which the TS invited me to do.

I also followed up with another comment, telling the TS that some of the other photos on his site were "much better". I'm not sure how that can be in any way a bad/rude thing to do? In fact, you say newcomers should be encouraged to post here, isn't me implying "you have better photos to share on the forum" exactly that? :thinking:

Either way, I offered some critique. So far in this thread, you haven't even had the courtesy to do anything but flame me. Maybe you could take the time to offer up some coments on the TS's photos? :shrug:

Right gentlemen, the handbags can be put away right now and a line drawn under this. If you have an issue with the way critique is offered, use the RTM button, as we keep having to repeat.

A line IS now drawn under this and we WILL go back to only discussing the photos.

Thankyou.

From an industrial standpoint - as we own a plant in Manchester, these (from the small pictures) look like the good quality shots we would demand from any photographer we let on site for promotional purposes.

I imagine, had you been able to get closer, then that quality would be evident in close ups.

Number 3 looks the best. I think Number 1 might benefit from some cropping of the foreground - it's a bit dominating.

Of the set I'd go for #1. Has a very eerie feel to it. WB is off, though.

My main crit is they are all out of focus?

Cheers and welcome aboard

Could be that I just find the subject boring, but they aren't very interesting to me.....
For starters, I didn't use the word "uninteresting" at all, so please don't misquote me.

I decided to sweat it out for a while. Bomberman explained pretty well why the first comments were inappropriate. Him being suspended now seemly I find unbelievable. I find a gentlemanlike attitude very important, but if you want your forum to be dominanted by people like Slimbert, who has no interesting contribution and sleemly needs to be rude against others to feel great about himself, than that is a regrettable choice. Moderation on forums is crucial on the internet as there are a lot of Slimberts around. I don't need to take his nonsense as there are numerious alternatives. I might sound offensive but if you want this forum to be welcome and above all interesting to newcomers you might want to think twice, and not shoot the messenger.
Good luck, without me.

Thanks Tim, Take care. Sorry bout the fuzz.

Last edited:
bomberman was NOT suspended for any posts in this thread.
He was suspended for sending an unprovoked objectionable Private Message which was reported to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back