Yes
got the chance to try some night rally stages
any tips
do you use flash?
I Normally use long lens for motorsport 300-420mm
would this work for night stages with flash or do I need to go short
how far would flash get
what about ethics of blinding drivers?

what is acceptable, I have the chance of doing either a forest stage or a tarmac special stage.

Depends really. I'm guessing on the track your going to be moving around alot. If possible try to get yourself where some other light source is near by. If its a clear sky, the mood can sometimes help too, though not too much.
I would use flash, but I have two SB-900's so distance and moving around doesn't really bother me. Just dont use it on the camera.

Also, it would help if you found a place where they where going slower than the rest of the track. It will help your shutter/ISO etc...

Ethics - well there is no other way of getting rally shots at night - you just have to look at various motorsport photographers website to know flash is used quite a lot. The only way to know for sure is contact the marshals at the event you are going to and checking what is allowed.

Lens wise, I would go short and I would also try to get the flash off the camera. Rally cars have number plates which are much more reflective than the rest of the car when hit with direct flash. To avoid the plate ending up as a huge distracting glow you need it to be indirect - ideally a pair of wireless triggers and the flash on a tripod a few metres away. I've used a flashgun camera mounter in some dark woods and got the glowy plate - would be worse when it is genuinely dark!

Back