Beginner Night self takes

Name
kevin
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok guys I'm a carp fisherman and spend alot of time on the bank side up to 72 hours a time ....I'm struggling to master the night self takes ...my camera is nikon d5100 and the options it has don't help at all ....main one being can activate the timer with the remote..also struggling with what settings and lighting and also getting everything in focus the camera don't seem to want to take a pic if not focused...any tips ...help ...any advice very welcom

What kind of pictures are you trying to take? Hand held or on a tripod? If you're taking pictures of yourself then you would need a relatively fast shutter speed so set a big aperture (small f no) and most likely will have to crank up the ISO to get the desired shutter speed. Probably anything from minimum 25th sec upwards. I'm fairly new to photography but that is what I would try first.

If the camera is in auto focus and there isn't enough light it won't confirm focus and allow the body to take the picture. You can try and focus manually. By the sounds of things if start with a tripod though.

Stick it on a tripod. Manually focus it at a predetermined spot. f5.6, f8, somewhere around there in Aperture Priority, (A) on the top dial. ISO 100, pop the flash up. Choose 20 second timer in 'Release Mode' menu. Get yourself in position. Give it a try.

Thanks Craig didn't think to put it on manual focus ill give this ago ty

Back