Night shots at the local race track

Edit My Images
Yes
Going to a 24hr hour race tomorrow at the local track, popped along tonight to take some pictures of the night practice

Need some advice how I could make these pictures better, composition is not very good but I was more interetsed in the teqnique

After going through all the pics the best ones all seem to be shot on the following setting

F5
3 second exposure
ISO 100

Shot using 400d & Sigma 28-70 2.8

good3.jpg

good2.jpg

Good1.jpg

Thxs

Jason, If I were going I might try keeping the shutter open and using an off camera flash (580ex etc) to maybe show one of the cars up as well as the light trails.... Just my input but good luck with it all mate..

I like the third shot but I would like to see more in the backgound. I took some at Brands Hatch last November but my settings were
F8
5 second exposure
100 ISO

Jason, If I were going I might try keeping the shutter open and using an off camera flash (580ex etc) to maybe show one of the cars up as well as the light trails.... Just my input but good luck with it all mate..

Use of the flash may be frowned upon, may blind the drivers and cause a massive pile up:shrug:

the settings look fine.. but you need to use a remote or timer and use mirror lockup (or maybe a sturdier tripod).
The pictures are a little blurry and the light trails are a bit wobbly, so something in the camera is moving during those 3 secs.

The first shot is best, because it has some interesting things in the photo like the building and crane, but the other 2 are just a corner..

What track is them shots above from?

Its the Autodrome in Dubai

Use of the flash may be frowned upon, may blind the drivers and cause a massive pile up:shrug:

Think you could be right

the settings look fine.. but you need to use a remote or timer and use mirror lockup (or maybe a sturdier tripod).
The pictures are a little blurry and the light trails are a bit wobbly, so something in the camera is moving during those 3 secs.

The first shot is best, because it has some interesting things in the photo like the building and crane, but the other 2 are just a corner..

See what you mean, and your right the ripod isn't as sturdy as I thought it would be

i agree that you need a car in the shot, the only problem is that to throw enough light from a flash gun onto a passing car is going to need some serious power, my 580EX just managed to throw enough light onto a rally car passing 15ft away in the dead of night.

on the use of a flash gun, i dont think you'd blind the driver, you'd want to flash the car as its passed so the trails are behind it anyway so you'd be flashing (oohhh errr) at the back of the car, the driver would be looking forwards so wouldnt notice the flash, it never seems to bother rally drivers!

Back