Night Time Excapade

Name
Matthew
Edit My Images
Yes
Went out Aurora hunting last night after the awesome display the night before... However there was only the smallest of glows on the very low horison. Never mind the Milky Way was certainly out! Had never really seen it before so was a great night out. Will add the shots in here as I get round to looking at them :)

Milky Way Above Stornoway by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

The Milky Way by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

Agree with the previous poster that the third image is the best by far - and it is a belter!

Invest in a graduated filter to control the street lights and you will be killing it every time! (y)

Favourite is number 3. The foreground combined with the sky make it for me. I have never tried shots like this at night. How do you choose settings - I note from exit data that it was iso1600 f4 90sec exposure. Also wondered how foreground structure was lit. Apologise if basic questions but trying to learn!

I like the third one, strangely reminds me of Christmas!

Agree with the previous poster that the third image is the best by far - and it is a belter!

I like the 3rd shot, excellent capture

Thanks guys!

Invest in a graduated filter to control the street lights and you will be killing it every time! (y)

Ah right never thought of that, I take it I would put it 'upside down'? To not affect the stars? I don't actually have one but may have to invest in one!

Favourite is number 3. The foreground combined with the sky make it for me. I have never tried shots like this at night. How do you choose settings - I note from exit data that it was iso1600 f4 90sec exposure. Also wondered how foreground structure was lit. Apologise if basic questions but trying to learn!

For stars the quickest capture is needed as to not get star trails, so for me and the gear I have f4 is the fasted my 10-20 goes, I went for iso 1600 as that gives highest sensitivity (3200 is far to noisy to use on my 500D) and 90 seconds give me the longest exposure with out hugely noticeable star trails. This is all from experimenting really and advice found on here. Hope that helps!

Thank you very much for advice. I will be out the next clear night we have to give this a go although starting to get cold.

Thanks!

Thank you very much for advice. I will be out the next clear night we have to give this a go although starting to get cold.

Nice one, best the is just to get out there and experiment. For me it has taken a while, I have been doing light painting now since February thread is here showing the progress and advise so maybe have a look at that too. I had been going out and doing full on light painting, but have tried as well recently to just take some shots with out any added lighting.

Forgot to mention the lighting is all by ambient light/street lighting around and about :)

Thanks again. I like looking on here to see what sort of different genres there are out there and this night time stuff and light painting is new to me. You are right it's just a matter of getting out there and trying. I think the stuff you are doing us really interesting and may suit me as have two young children and not much opportunity in day time to take photos (except of them). I see you are from Lewis so my comment about being cold in Wakefield must have seemed strange to you. Went to western isles a few years ago and drove from Stornaway to Barra. Loved it there and looking back there are some great places to photograph

Haha nice one, if I'm being honest I know I am spoilt for great locations up here, I never used to go to places at all until I got into photography. The night stuff for me is also really handy, I don't get much time during the day because of work, now I also have a 14 day old daughter so this may also be a good thing to be into haha!

Really glad you like, I know the Light Painting isn't to everyones taste, infact I do get quite a few people saying that my shots would look better without any! Which is completely fine and I understand where they are coming from, to the point I am trying to tone it down abit and get some nice night-time landscapes, these a really the first batch of them.

Any questions about light painting just pop over to the other thread and fire away! Along with the thread all my Flickr shots have exif data on them so you can get the feel of what's been used to get them.

Loving the first and the last images...and yes, it's unfait#r because in your location you have such lovely places to shoot :LOL:
I'd say your escapade was well worth it!

Back