Night time Glastonbury Torr?

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
will be staying near Glastonbury in just over a week and looking to do some night time pics as well as macro and wildlife, I know it's been done to death but will keep me entertained at night so any advice on getting some nice shots with star trails would be appreciated in that area

There's a decent level of darkness in the immediate area so star shots on a clear night are very achievable.

Setting up, use a torch to help you focus (shine it on your subject: the Tor, I guess) and also use your light to find the corners of your frame when composing.

You want the maximum light sensitivity for stars, so that's a high ISO and a wide aperture. Haven't visited the Tor at night for many years but I'd think ISO800 and f/2.8 would be easily possible, subject to your choice of camera and lens. Then use shutter speed to get the ambient light looking the way you want. Anywhere between 15 & 30 seconds will see you ok, but if you need to shoot longer than 30 seconds, try increasing the ISO instead until a 30 second frame gives the result you're looking for.

Once you're all set to go, set the camera into continuous high-speed firing mode and lock your shutter open with a cable or remote release. That should keep you firing until either your card's full or your battery's empty.

Once shooting, the main thing to beware of is condensation on your front element. No easy way to check for this but it usually follows about 15 minutes after starting on your tripod legs.

With an ultra-wide angle lens it's possible to compose circular star trails over the Tor, having found Polaris of course. I think it can also make a great shot to drop down the hill a little and shoot a wider landscape.

Good luck!

Thank you Andrew and Duncan I'll take a look at the links and thanks for the explanations of set up Andrew it's appreciated

If we get a clear sky next week will I be able to get a photo of the milkyway? It's something I've wanted to do and seen some great examples but understand its not always visible?

Skywalk is great app

Thank you Jason and Mark I'll take a look now and hope moon and clear sky's in favour :)

Very much doubt you will see the milky way from Glastonbury, there is quite a bit of light pollution in the area, even further out in the countryside, the moon will be approaching full next week, so you will need somewhere VERY dark. That's assuming we get a break in the cloudy skies, the forecast isn't too promising at the moment.
On a more positive note, the Tor can look stunning under moonlight if the clouds break.

Thank you Steve for the reply I checked the links above and seen it was full moon next week :( so thinking about it I'm only 15miles from exmoor dark sky reserve so that will be place for Milky Way another night I guess but hopefully get the tor under moonlight :)

Sounds like a good plan, Exmoor would be a lot more suitable. Have seen some stunning shots of the milky way over Wimbleball reservoir, makes for a nice foreground.
For Glastonbury, from the west side, say Ham Wall Reserve, you should be able to get the moon coming up behind the Tor, if its clear???
Not sure if this link will keep the location info, but worth a try http://app.photoephemeris.com/?ll=5...400+0100&center=51.1561,-2.7356&spn=0.04,0.14

Thank you Steve for the reply I checked the links above and seen it was full moon next week :( so thinking about it I'm only 15miles from exmoor dark sky reserve so that will be place for Milky Way another night I guess but hopefully get the tor under moonlight :)

How did this go Adam? Im looking to get out on Exmoor at the end of may and was Interested in yr results....and looking for tips ;)

I didn't get to do any while there :( ended up chasing round for barn owls that week instead and never took a night sky :( saying that I'm off to Scottish highlands in 2 weeks so planning to try again when there is weather holds

Also got very fixated on wildlife since that trip and not used any of my lenses under 300mm since last summer and kept saying to myself I need to get back to doing other photography as its affected my general photography :(

Hahaha know that feeling mate, Ive been playing about with portraiture for the last yearish and my landscape stuff just got forgotten...its good to get back to what you love!

Wildlife is addictive :)
It certainly is only problem is I'm finding I'm only going out with my 500mm and spend day walking not taking and pics as it stays on my back :( think I miss my 80-400 as that used to be by my side all the time when out and was small enough to not think about it haha

It certainly is only problem is I'm finding I'm only going out with my 500mm and spend day walking not taking and pics as it stays on my back :( think I miss my 80-400 as that used to be by my side all the time when out and was small enough to not think about it haha

I know what you mean ... I'm thinking about Ham Walls tomorrow and whether to take a 2nd body and wide angle lens :)

I know what you mean ... I'm thinking about Ham Walls tomorrow and whether to take a 2nd body and wide angle lens :)
That sounds like a plan, I do like hamwall I'm sure I've seen somewhere the bitterns have started booming?

Forgot to add maybe too early but a macro always good there (well in summer they are)

Back