Night time long exposure help

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
How do,

I've been dabbling with night time shots with long exposure as done so by a billion people around the world. This is the first attempt, just looking for pointers and tips really.

I'm happy with it and think it looks pretty cool, just, it's not as good as some shots you see.

Tips anyone? :thinking:
9777337751_4907de003b_b.jpg

9777556405_b15a530523_b.jpg

Personally speaking id say the mechanics is fine its just the location that's a bit dull

Try going out a little earlier when there is a tiny bit more light in the sky, the first one especially the scenery is interacting with the light trails, but its hard to see how - guessing its a hedge or something.

You're right, there was a tree to the right of where I was. I don't have the plate to my tripod so had to improvise, and the tree was in the way of it. Thanks for the comment

The technique is fine, it seems a tad too dark though (only the first one). What makes these good are interesting things in the shot e.g. flashing sirens, trains/planes, roadworks, signs, good lighting, etc.
It's quite hard to find a good spot but the sky is one of the biggest factors in my opinion, sunset is the best time to go out as mentioned above. Alternatively a longer exposure will bring out colours you can't even see too.

I can only echo what's already been said, and being no expert to offer much advice, but, I think you have the basics all sorted, it's just the location and time of day that could do with some planning and I reckon you be well on your way :)
I did my first and only (so far) up on scammonden dam bridge last year.... I'm hoping to do plenty more this winter now the dark nights are drawing in earlier.

Rich

Thanks for the feedback Trash, appreciate it :) I suppose a lot of it is down to planning but also pot luck (if you can call a police chase down the M1 pot luck).

Thanks Cotty, will give that a read later tonight.

Thanks Rich, just had a look at your flickr (I added you as a contact on there yesterday, I'm no stalker, just love your photos) and spotted the three examples of it. Think I need to work on location but the technique seems to be cool. A mate suggest I use f12 aperture so that's also something I'm going to try out!

Thanks for the feedback Trash, appreciate it :) I suppose a lot of it is down to planning but also pot luck (if you can call a police chase down the M1 pot luck)

Yep, it is just luck sometimes! Ive never been fortunate enough to catch a police car in a long exposure. Sometimes ill come back with a bunch which I just delete straight away, others ill come back with 5 which are all great! ND filters help too to get a really long exposure, bulb it for a minute or so.

Back