Night torch?

Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone know of a decent torch for use in total darkness (just to see the back of the camera etc), I understand a red light is better for retaining vision then green? thanks!

if all you need to do is look at the camera just get a cheap head torch with a filter.

if all you need to do is look at the camera just get a cheap head torch with a filter.

:plus1:

And/or keep an eye on Lidl and Aldi - they sometimes have cheap head torches with a red setting, I've had one for 7 or 8 years and it's still going strong.

+ 1 for the Alpkit Gamma. I've had a older version for several years.

In practice I've never had a problem just using the white light..

I used a small LED LENSER. You can get pretty good deals on amazon.

Maplin had LED Lenser P7.2 giftsets cheap the other week which I picked one up amazingly good torches and the gift set comes with a P3 ? which has keyring clip ideal as a small light to take everywhere and the P7.2 when you want to look at areas in what looks like total daylight its so bright :)

Petzl e-lite, tiny, so you can carry it at all times and it'll be there whenever you may need it in winter, be it work rest or play.

I personally use an LED USB chargeable bike light. You get several that can operate either red (for better night vision) or white (for walking about). They also come with easy ways to mount to your head or shoulder so your hands remain free.

aldi have a 3 torch set on sale atm, the head torch has a single red led

the hand torches seem decent, if having a bizarely small loop, but bright

FWIW I've never found a dimmed white light (1 lumen or even a light with a 'firefly' mode) any different than a red LED for impairing night vision, and it's more pleasant to use.

One trick for maintaining night vision when using a light is to close one eye when the light is on.

Back