Night-Vision Attachment

Arkady

Suspended / Banned
Name
Rob
Edit My Images
No
Got this issued on Monday and took it out for a spin that night.
Rather than run afoul of the pixel-police, I've linked to the images so you can see the quality a bit better.
First was taken outside my house using a hand-held 300mm f/2.8 and the exposure was about 125th at f/5.6.
The others were taken out on the Aldershot Training Area away from any ambient light (slight orange glow off the clouds, but otherwise pitch-black in the trees) using a 28-80 f/2.8 with shutter speeds ranging from 30th to 8th at f/5.6

In all cases the camera was set to 100 iso (to make things difficult) better speeds would obviously be achieved going to 800 iso or even hi-one or hi-two.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a140/Arkady01/Misc/DMOCJMOT10500160005E.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a140/Arkady01/Misc/DMOCJMOT10500160035E.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a140/Arkady01/Misc/DMOCJMOT10500160036E.jpg

That's impressive! How much would a thing like that cost?

I've used binocular type light intensifiers in the past on surveillance jobs and the quality wan't as good as that.

It's from the US and costs a paltry £6,000 - I'll post proper details of it when I get home. I just did a quick and nasty edit to show you what it does.
It's available in all popular camera fittings and apparently, even for Canon (though why they're bothering is beyond me...:))

We'll convert you yet. ;)

Tha't's quite scary when obviously the same technology can be incorporated in a telescopic rifle sight. Imagine that in the hands of a sniper - you'd be as good as dead already!

The CWS (Combined Weapon Sight) for the L-85 (SA-80) and other weapons is streets ahead of this - no, really. Rubberised, waterproof and 4x magnification. Night is day - literally.

This thing I'll have to molly-coddle as it comes apart in three sections and I can see water and dust getting in very easily. I'll be gaffer-taping all the joints while in Iraq.

Some of the stuff you get involved in scares me :shock:

lol! Steve is spy, Arkady isnt

Arkady said:
The CWS (Combined Weapon Sight) for the L-85 (SA-80) and other weapons is streets ahead of this - no, really. Rubberised, waterproof and 4x magnification. Night is day - literally.

This thing I'll have to molly-coddle as it comes apart in three sections and I can see water and dust getting in very easily. I'll be gaffer-taping all the joints while in Iraq.

Is that the one that when broken means you have to evacuate the area? If so, whats the deal with the NV adapter for the camera?

Looks very cool :D

The night vision camera kit is a sensor mounted inside two outer sleeves that presumably focus the image.
It's manufactured by the Electrophysics Corporation, Fairfield, New Jersey USA.

It takes it's power from the camera, so no batteries to worry about.
Unfortunately, there is no paperwork or manuals with this kit, so I can't give you any more than that really.
It's way better than the last one of these I trialled from Viking Arms. They also make ones for Video cameras, which my ENG oppo will be getting today.

The CWS I mentioned isn't tritium-filled - that's the SUSAT (Sight Unit Small-Arms, Trilux) you're thinking of. In the 12 years I've been using the L-85, I've never seen one break. Rifles, yes - the sights, no.

would be this then ? nice :)

Nikon_full.jpg

Could be useful for a night-time mission into Southwood with a paintball gun. Not that i've ever done that sort of thing. Oh no, not me officer.

Whilst searching for a new zoom lens, found this cheapy alternative that appears able to be connectd to a SLR. Would look a bit of a clown with it setup, but then again if dark no-one could see you ;)

We've looked at loads of different ones, most costing several thousand pounds. This is the first one I've ever trialled that I would take on a job.
The others gave exposures in the tens of seconds wide-open at push-2 ISO on the D1x - useless for action shots.

Back