Nightclub video: how much to charge?

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

A client wants me to make them a 2-3 min long nightclub video. Despite making videos in the past I've never made anything like this before. They want to know how much I charge.

What do people think is a fair price? I was going to charge £50 seeing as its my first one which would consist of 2 hrs filming and about 4 hrs editing. But got a few people telling me thats too cheap.

Ideas? :help:

Hi

A client wants me to make them a 2-3 min long nightclub video. Despite making videos in the past I've never made anything like this before. They want to know how much I charge.

What do people think is a fair price? I was going to charge £50 seeing as its my first one which would consist of 2 hrs filming and about 4 hrs editing. But got a few people telling me thats too cheap.

Ideas? :help:

that's only like £8 an hour- and taking into account the time spent getting there, setting up, and other admin stuff- i'd ask for more
but the tragedy is that the club probably will just pay you in alcohol, and then complain at your drunken shakey footage...

Yeah spoke to a few people and am going to charge £100 I think. Realistically I can probably get the filming done in 2 hours, then it will take me roughly 3 hours to edit. So £20/hour - doesn't sound so bad...

Especially seeing as I was getting ready to do the first few for free to get a portfolio/experience doing it.

Yeah spoke to a few people and am going to charge £100 I think. Realistically I can probably get the filming done in 2 hours, then it will take me roughly 3 hours to edit. So £20/hour - doesn't sound so bad...

Especially seeing as I was getting ready to do the first few for free to get a portfolio/experience doing it.

yeah 20/hr is a good rate
wouldn't want to drop lower than 15 for anything ever

but then I don't live in the real world and never had a minimum wage job, so :LOL:

Last edited:
Surely it's down to what the client is expecting? If he has it in his head that he want a top job and has a budget of a grand your goi g to look silly, bit more info needed me thinks.

Good luck with that, I charge £400 for a 90 second promo with v/o.

Good luck with that, I charge £400 for a 90 second promo with v/o.

OP looks like he's never shot commercial stuff before though, his vimeo seems to be mostly extreme sports

OP is also 20 years old and a student, for all I know you might have been working in the industry longer than the OP has been breathing!

Last edited:
Yep, totally take your point there and, yep also to your second comment.

I guess it's better than doing freebies. (y)

Have agreed £100 for the video. Also been told if they are impressed they may want me to do their other venues! Hopefully for a little extra seeing as I'd have to travel etc.

To be honest, I'm over the moon with £100/video. Will be my first "paid" production, and yes I am a student. I initially sent the email with the thought in my head that I'd be willing to do it for free just to get the portfolio but now I'm earning a little extra while still gaining the portfolio. :) So can potentially approach other clients with a finished video and ask for more. :)

Thanks for the help!

@lolage, your doing it right, charge fair but doint expect a club to pay big money, they simply dont usually have the budget (unless its a chain or specific live venue).
I shoot alot of dubstep and drum n bass venues, with artists who get paid thousands to go there, yet the organisers like to get away with free togs and videographers simply because people are willing to shoot 2nd grade work for free just to get onto stage...
Its the annoying thing about dslrs getting so popular!

Ive just bagged myself EU work every month, drum n bass event that pays £250 +hotel +meals +drink +as many friends guestlists i want to bring.
Its sometimes a slow process to get there and im no where near getting the jobs i really want yet, but it takes time...good luck on your video :)

@lolage, your doing it right, charge fair but doint expect a club to pay big money, they simply dont usually have the budget (unless its a chain or specific live venue).
I shoot alot of dubstep and drum n bass venues, with artists who get paid thousands to go there, yet the organisers like to get away with free togs and videographers simply because people are willing to shoot 2nd grade work for free just to get onto stage...
Its the annoying thing about dslrs getting so popular!

Ive just bagged myself EU work every month, drum n bass event that pays £250 +hotel +meals +drink +as many friends guestlists i want to bring.
Its sometimes a slow process to get there and im no where near getting the jobs i really want yet, but it takes time...good luck on your video :)

Sweet, any chance of a link to some of your work? What stuff exactly are you doing in the EU?

theres a few videos on my site www.phlexmedia.co.uk
havent shot any with the 5D3 yet though, been doing stills lately.
Its a drum n bass night, working for organisers, who are also djs, so will be working at their record label nights too :)

Back