Nighttime fly, snail and spider

GardenersHelper

In Memoriam
Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Good set of shots both in this and your other threads. I am amazed you find the stuff at night.

Thanks Chris. Until the last couple of weeks I'd only ever done a handful of night sessions. I've done half a dozen or more in the last week or two (testing various bits and combinations of kit) and each time I've found enough subjects to keep me occupied. Different animals are around than during the day - lots of slugs (but difficult with flash because of their shininess), and more snails and harvestmen than during the day. Very few flies, almost all quite or very small, no bees and the only wasps I've seen are a few outside the wasp nest that I've been photographing. I don't know if they are standing guard. They are completely still when I arrive, but when I start shining lights around they come to life and before long fly around me, at which point I move on.

Another thing I've noticed is how still the air has been at night. It is normally breezy here during the day - we are on a hillside on the edge of the Severn Estuary and we get on-shore breeze a lot during the day (gulls often come and ride the thermals above us in the late afternoon) as well as the prevailing westerlies coming in off the Atlantic and rattling up the Bristol Channel. Working in still air is a real luxury.

Excellent light, sharpness and composition :)

Interesting about stacking the Raynox. I have a 150 but will invest in a 250 also at some point I think :)

Thanks Mike. Based on something Mark Berkery told me recently about his techniques, today I tried using two 250s stacked on the G5 rather than my usual stack of 250 and 150. It's a nice combination. I'll write it up in my Journey thread and explain why that particular combination appeals to me.

Back