Nik Silver Efex Pro 2..

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
I am very interested in getting the Nik Silver Efex Pro 2 but I have a couple of questions..

Is it the sort of program that can only be downloaded the once, or could I buy a second hand copy to re-use.

If I buy new, are there programs that I should leave alone.. stuff from China etc.. I have seen a few advertised from the USA, but I dont know?
Is there a seller in the UK perhaps.

Any thoughts..

Last edited:
Silver effx 2 is a plugin for photoshop/lightroom, if you buy it and keep a backup you can install and use it for years (as long as you have the backup/serial number)
Be carefull where you buy from, a copy may not work with the number your given if it's dodgy.

Thinking of getting this myself but it's expensive.

Thinking of getting this myself but it's expensive.

Thats my thinking about the price.. I did see one advertised at £104 with£5.99 postage but when you read on it seems the postage is £19 and it seemed too foreign for a UK address.
But I'm still on the look out over the next week or two.

Cheers

Silver effx 2 is a plugin for photoshop/lightroom, if you buy it and keep a backup you can install and use it for years (as long as you have the backup/serial number)
Be carefull where you buy from, a copy may not work with the number your given if it's dodgy.

I was thinking along them lines and the serial number is the key as you say.

Cheers :)

Thats my thinking about the price.. I did see one advertised at £104 with£5.99 postage but when you read on it seems the postage is £19 and it seemed too foreign for a UK address.
But I'm still on the look out over the next week or two.

Cheers

It isn't cheap but it is excellent. You can do pretty much anything it offers in photoshop but Silver Efex Pro is just so simple it is untrue. I rarely made B&W shots as simple conversions in Photoshop or Lightroom just looked rubbish but with SEP a few clicks and I have a decent shot, a few more and I've shots I am happy to hang on my wall.

Download a trial version and give it a go.

I've got it as well and think it is excellent. I find photoshop very difficult to use, however SEP is very easy. Just select one of the profiles and a few adjustments and your done, you have certain control points which allow you to target specific areas. Have a look on you tube and there are many examples of it in use.

I have read loads of mags and it comes with good comments.. and I might try the trial version.

Cheers..

Is it much better than PS and if you spend long enough in PS can you get shots to look the same?

I think that knowing what you're doing is the problem. I've done things in the past and then not been able to do them again as I simply couldn't remember how I did it.

I'd put a vote in for Alien Skin Exposure 4 instead of CEP.

Its not quite as sleek looking as Nik software but the film presets are fantastic (B+W and colour). Mind, if we're simply talking about the basics then maybe consider spending some time searching for free LR presets and actions for PS.

Alternatively there'll likely be some very good tutorials on B+W conversion using both LR and PS.

I think that knowing what you're doing is the problem. I've done things in the past and then not been able to do them again as I simply couldn't remember how I did it.

One thing I suffer with badly.. :D

Sign up for one of their online seminars via the web page, at the end they usually send out a discount code (10-15%). They have 2 reseller programs, one in Europe and one in the US. The US versions are always cheaper, before you factor in shipping and customs, i have not heared of them shipping from the far east/Australasia so I would be carefull ordering from there. If your entitled to educational software (Student, teacher, acedemic) It is avaliable on acedemic license for a lot less.

Last edited:
Sign up for one of their online seminars via the web page, at the end they usually send out a discount code (10-15%). They have 2 reseller programs, one in Europe and one in the US. The US versions are always cheaper, before you factor in shipping and customs, i have not heared of them shipping from the far east/Australasia so I would be carefull ordering from there. If your entitled to educational software (Student, teacher, acedemic) It is avaliable on acedemic license for a lot less.

I have seen loads from the USA and the acedemic one's but I dont think I qualify not unless they dont check to closely..
I did see some on Ebay but when I went back later it was a different page which is frustrating.
I will have a look at the seminar route later..

Cheers.

Does anyone know what the right code numbers are for a pukka Silver Efex pro 2 by chance..

What do you mean by pukka codes?

Sorry thats just a bit of slang.. all it means is some things have a makers number ( as in chassis frame number on a car..) thats all.. :)

Last edited:
DeNoise is a different plugin, Topaz do a number including B&W Effects

I looked at some Topaz stuff a while ago. I decided not to buy but I did notice that they were offering some good package deals so anyone looking at a couple / a few products might get a deal, if the offer is still on.

What is the best option to go for if you have both Lightroom and PS. Is the PS version only required if you mainly work from PS..?

Seing as I have both LR and PS I'm not sure which to go for..?

Mark

At the moment I am looking at the Silver Efex academic version and just seeing if I can fiddle the books a bit to get one... at £80 its a better price.

What is the best option to go for if you have both Lightroom and PS. Is the PS version only required if you mainly work from PS..?

Seing as I have both LR and PS I'm not sure which to go for..?

Mark

If i remember rightly if you buy the PS version you also get the download for LR, but the PS version is more expensive, there is not the same functionality in the LR version as there is in the PS version.

If i remember rightly if you buy the PS version you also get the download for LR, but the PS version is more expensive, there is not the same functionality in the LR version as there is in the PS version.

I can't seem to find anything that clearly describes the differences.

Back