Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8 vs Nikkor 16-85 F3.5

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Out of curiousity, just how much better is the 2.8 ?

Im thinking I might buy one to go on my D300 as I use the 16-85 a lot.

Was hoping that D500 prices would start to improve, but thats not going to happen any time soon by the looks of things. So, hoping this would be a good and worthwhile upgrade.

Reactions: nog
Last edited:
I like it. I had a 300 and a 16-85 up until 2 years ago.
Now it is the 16-80 on d500. I find the images sharper with more pop.
It was not a straight swop,as I went through a "Fuji period" in between.
Whether it is worth the upgrade is more difficult to say.
In my case is it the lens or is it the sensor that makes the difference?

I read that this lens is only for newer bodies. Does it make it no use for my D90?

Main thoughts are I need to get more free time. Hardly used the camera or lens - not been out of the garden yet. Off for 3 days now so hopefully try it out

Won't work properly on the D90, the 16-85 will though :)

Eh, why not?

On another point that's been touched on, you only need super sharp state of the art lenses if you have a high resolution sensor. If an old lens is already being out resolved by the sensor then putting a higher resolution sensor on it won't help matters.

That said, the old 16-85 was considered to be very good last time I was in to Nikon so should still be ok. There has always been debate whether a slow aperture lens is worth so much and personally I'd be looking at a f/2.8 Tamron.

Well I'll be damned...

Are Nikon about to obsolete the F Mount?

A bit more research shows the 16-80 isn't the only E-type lens Nikon do.

New E: Yep, Nikon recycled the E, this time to mean “electronic activation of the aperture.”

This first appeared on the PC-E lenses in 2008 and support was designed into some 2007 cameras. Why? Because a mechanical linkage to the aperture from the camera body is too complex when a lens is shifted and tilted.

Now, however, Nikon has made clear that they’re building E lenses for good: the 400mm, 500mm, 600mm, 800mm exotics are E, the 300mm f/4 revision is E, the 16-80mm f/2.8-4 DX lens is E, and more E lenses are coming.

http://www.dslrbodies.com/lenses/le...kon-lens-info/making-sense-of-nikon-lens.html

Eh, why not?
As others have said, it has an electronic aperture which requires later bodies. It will still mount as Nikon aren't ditching the mount type. I think the reason for the change is down to the faster cameras e.g. D4 series and D5 - lenses with mechanical apertures couldn't keep up. The aperture would need to be opened wide and then stopped down for each shot in a series (assuming using AF-C) so it bounces all over the place. Electronic is allegedly more accurate and faster.

Just to bump this before I buy one from HDEW on Black Friday weekend for £565...

Is it worth the dollar over the 16-85 ?

Back