Nikkor 18-70mm or Sigma 17-70?

Edit My Images
Yes
Has anyone tried both lenses? If so, what's the verdict? Pros & Cons...

Thanks (y)

(btw, it's to go on a D200)

I'm going to watch the answers to this like a hawk :). I'm in a similar situation at the moment in deciding on a lens.

Not tried the Sigma but the Nikon 18-70 is a cracker for the money, excellent performance and good build quality!

Why not go for the Tamron 17-50? The 18-70 Nikkor was my first ever lens. Got some fantastic images from it but I was always frustrated at not being able to shoot wide open throughout the range. Although the Tamron doesn't quite rock my world now (I guess because I have the much more expensive 24-70 2.8 Nikkor to play with) I'd say it's worth considering?

Both are really good. I had a Sigma 17-70 and thought it was superb, 70mm is spectacular, less so on the wide end, where I feel the Nikkor has the edge.

At the time I had the Sigma, I got a D60 so replaced it with a Nikkor 18-70 DX for the AF.

The Tamron 17-50 is also work a look, its the best out of the 18-70 DX and Sigma 17-70, although you may find 50mm a bit short.

But all of them are excellent, and you can't go wrong with any. As they are all good, you would do well to consider just picking up the cheapest in this instance.

I've seen the Nikkor and the Sigma go for less than £100, but the Tamron seems to go for more (I suppose because it's 2.8 it's always going to cost more).

I must admit that the extra length of the Nikkor and the Sigma would be handy. Does anyone know if there's much in it when it comes to focussing speed of the 3 lenses?

Thanks for the replies (y)

The older Tamron 17-50 (without the motor) is the faster (on a D200/D300 class body)

Between the Nikkor and Sigma for AF speed, I've only used the non-HSM extensively. Nikkor is fastest.

The Tamron 17-50 with a focus motor is the slowest for AF speed.

Back