Nikkor 200-500?

Nod

Tootles
Name
Nod (UK)
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone had a play yet? Hoping it'll be compatible with a 1 series + FT1 as well as SLRs, the EFL on the baby bodies will be 540mm - 1350mm with reasonable IQ...

Not likely to be cheap BUT will be cheaper than the Sigma 150-600 sport and that's at the launch price, so give it 6 months to calm down and I'd expect closer to the grand than £1180.

I ask Nikon about 1 series compatibility and got this reply,so we will have to wait,must admit ime interested with the prospect

Currently I have no information to see if the 200-500mm lens will be compatible with the FT1 mount. This will most likely be updated in the future

ALL my other Nikkors work on them but I've had compatibility issues with 3rd party lenses. The combination will be ...interesting as you say!

The 70 300mm f4.5/f5.6 VR is a good lens, consumer grade, that is built to a price …… but when used for small birds and similar at the longer ends and particularly when cropped the IQ is well below the more expensive primes, (as you would expect) - it is OK for record shots and I have found that for larger animals and similar and for images that are not cropped it is fine.

If the 200 500mm is built to the same (comparative) price level I would think that it will exhibit the same qualities.

On the Nikon 1 bodies, with the FT-1 it will be slow to focus, (and single cell only), and will have to be used on a tripod to get anywhere near a sharp image - 2 x 200mm and certainly 2 x 500mm will need a very fast shutter speed to compensate for the slightest movement,

It will be interesting - I've tried the FT-1 set up with my 300mm f2.8 and 600mm f4 and all I would say that it is "interesting" - some of the time, but the light has to be good and your settings very good …… and when the light is good, controlling the highlights can be difficult

just IMHO ……. after using the FT-1 with quite a few Nikon "longer" lens.

Used my FT-1 on V2 with a sigma 50-500 hand held no real problems,after my experience with my P610 hand holding a lens that equates to a 1440mm i believe its the actual 258mm that needs stabilizing not the converted FOV 1440mm,otherwise i wouldn't be able to do it at speeds like 1/160th of a second.

Used my FT-1 on V2 with a sigma 50-500 hand held no real problems,after my experience with my P610 hand holding a lens that equates to a 1440mm i believe its the actual 258mm that needs stabilizing not the converted FOV 1440mm,otherwise i wouldn't be able to do it at speeds like 1/160th of a second.

so you reckon that you can get a sharpe image at 1000mm at a speed of 1/160th sec hand held?

so you reckon that you can get a sharpe image at 1000mm at a speed of 1/160th sec hand held?

Didnt think i had said that :) i think the only focal length that matters is the actual not the increased FOV one,so what i thought i said was i was hand holding @ 258mm,if you use a 500mm lens on a FX then crop the one series sensor from the middle you wouldn't expect it to be any less sharp than before you cropped it.

DSC_0235 by gpn63, on Flickr

600mm VR, 1.4x telecon, 1/125th, handheld... The only keeper from several I shot though! 2,263mm EFL.

FWIW, I think the 1/FL = hand holdable rule of thumb refers to the 35mm EFL, so the above shot shows a little over 4 stops of theoretical VR (if my maths is close!)

Any wildlife is likely to be tripod mounted but I think I'll probably use it as much for moon and satellite attempts and that'll be handheld.

Didnt think i had said that :) i think the only focal length that matters is the actual not the increased FOV one,so what i thought i said was i was hand holding @ 258mm,if you use a 500mm lens on a FX then crop the one series sensor from the middle you wouldn't expect it to be any less sharp than before you cropped it.

sorry if I misunderstood

DSC_0235 by gpn63, on Flickr

600mm VR, 1.4x telecon, 1/125th, handheld... The only keeper from several I shot though! 2,263mm EFL.

FWIW, I think the 1/FL = hand holdable rule of thumb refers to the 35mm EFL, so the above shot shows a little over 4 stops of theoretical VR (if my maths is close!)

Any wildlife is likely to be tripod mounted but I think I'll probably use it as much for moon and satellite attempts and that'll be handheld.

bet it was resting on your knee

My elbows were but I was also leaning back to see the rear screen (the 1AW has no VF).

My hand holding is crap,i would expect most to do better than me but this is the Sigma 50-500 on the V2 hand held @ 500mm, its the only one i kept from my tests because they where all boring subjects exif should be there,to me this gives hope for the new lens on a 1 series..

View attachment 44217

Anyone had a play yet? Hoping it'll be compatible with a 1 series + FT1 as well as SLRs, the EFL on the baby bodies will be 540mm - 1350mm with reasonable IQ...

Not likely to be cheap BUT will be cheaper than the Sigma 150-600 sport and that's at the launch price, so give it 6 months to calm down and I'd expect closer to the grand than £1180.

The lens is not due for release until September 17th so can't see there being any reviews for a good few weeks yet.

I think that he is just retyping what he has read

to get you to his site thru the search engines

It's a weird 'review' because you have;

Just for fun I tried it on my 1988 Nikon F4. It autofocuses, but there is no VR. It meters and auto-exposes — but it only shoots at f/5.6, which is where I'd always shoot it on film.

I tried it on my Nikon F6, and everything works fine — except it only shoots at f/5.6. I'd only shoot it at f/5.6 anyway, so I say Game On! for use with the F6.

I tried it on my Nikon FM3a, and it also works great, of course with manual focus, no VR and only at f/5.6.

And then it all gets a bit vague and generic, hence my careful selection of the word claims. ;)

Mr Rockwell claims to have had his hands on a copy... :D

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/200-500mm.htm

Since he freely admits that he's full of BS, I don't give him the benefit of site visits. I'm sure there are a few bits of useful information in among the crap but I CBA to sift through it to find them!

I was wondering if anyone had had a play with a pre production prototype or even an early press sample. Not in any great rush for it, as I said, I won't be buying one until the release price has been dropped a few quid!

I'm never sure about kens 'reviews', the camera specific stuff can probably be guessed from what Nikon have already said. I'm sure somewhere there is a pro photographer who is trailing one. I don't know why nikon don't do the same as canon do with Andy Rouse, whether you like his way or not he does drum up hype and sales.

I was wondering if nikon would have one to try at this weekends a Birdfair at a Rutland Water, it would be a good birding lens.

It's a weird 'review' because you have;

And then it all gets a bit vague and generic, hence my careful selection of the word claims. ;)

cut and paste job from another cut and paste job from another cut and paste job of a lens he may have reviewed in the past

after a while you realise what he say is crap ……… but the technical info which he copies from various places may be useful

just a site that wants to drive traffic to it to try to gain some financial benefit through his name awareness and (highish) place on the search engines

Who can blame him …. he is what he is

Last edited:
A lot of people still use his site before buying I guess it's because he does get top of search engines? People in work that don't have a lot of knowledge always go "Ken Rockwell gave it a good review so think I'll buy it" and must admit in my earlier days of buying I did the same

I don't think anywhere in his review does he claim to have used one, he even says the following

"I'll reserve final judgement until my own purchased sample is in my hand."

As above, it is not a review as such, just a technical description of the new lens

I don't think anywhere in his review does he claim to have used one, he even says the following

"I'll reserve final judgement until my own purchased sample is in my hand."

As above, it is not a review as such, just a technical description of the new lens
He does say he tried 'it' on his F4,F6 and FM3A so surely tried one, maybe a pre- production one? It's not much of a review.

He does say he tried 'it' on his F4,F6 and FM3A so surely tried one, maybe a pre- production one? It's not much of a review.

Ahh, must have glossed over that bit, since i own a D7100 i'd hardly expect it not to be compatible, so i rarely read that section of his reviews

well!! managed to have a play with this lens, on the nikon stand at the birdfair..feels a very solid bit of kit, they had it mounted on a D800 ,which was very nice, but had them to mount it on a nikon d7200, focus was very fast and snappy, indoors and out, i tried it focusing on low contrast subjects, and it seemed to hit the mark, all the time without any hesitation..also tried it in crop mode with same results..well impressed..
cannot wait to get one, i was told that they had taken a lot of orders over the three days, so lets hope that nikon will get their orders out ok..
I would say that this would be better on a tripod or monopod...mark.

well!! managed to have a play with this lens, on the nikon stand at the birdfair..feels a very solid bit of kit, they had it mounted on a D800 ,which was very nice, but had them to mount it on a nikon d7200, focus was very fast and snappy, indoors and out, i tried it focusing on low contrast subjects, and it seemed to hit the mark, all the time without any hesitation..also tried it in crop mode with same results..well impressed..
cannot wait to get one, i was told that they had taken a lot of orders over the three days, so lets hope that nikon will get their orders out ok..
I would say that this would be better on a tripod or monopod...mark.

Hi Mark

Do not suppose the people at Nikon let you put a SD card into the D7200 to take images away ? Just wondering ?

Hi Mark

Thanks for getting back. Like many here, I am interested in this lens. Might have to wait for the reviews from those already in the waiting list. Gives me a bit of time to save up, I suppose.

@mark richards
I don't know if you have used either the Sigma or Tamron 150-600 lens but just wondering what you think about a comparison.
I'm thinking that the extra 100mm over the Nikon would need a good trade-off in quality on the new lens ... any thoughts from your limited time with it?

@mark richards
I don't know if you have used either the Sigma or Tamron 150-600 lens but just wondering what you think about a comparison.
I'm thinking that the extra 100mm over the Nikon would need a good trade-off in quality on the new lens ... any thoughts from your limited time with it?
they had both sigma & tamron stalls there, but i didn't try any..was so impressed with the nikon..only wish now that i had taken a nikon one body with me and adaptor, they didn't seem too bothered with me playing about...mark.

@mark richards

What we need and ime sure we will get it ;) is for it to match the 150-600 both at 500 and match the 600 when a 1.4 is attached at 700mm,if that makes sense

they probably would have...but i didn't have any, i was using a compact camera, with micro card inside...I was working, so didn't take my nikon stuff...

They probably wouldn't have, @Andrewrallye and I were at the Carmarthen Camera & Optics show on Saturday and they had a 200-500 there. They would only let Andrew have a go of it on one of their display bodies, as the lens they was pre-production and they wouldn't let him use any cards either. They couldn't let any images get out into public. They didn't have a D4S on the stand so Andrew didn't bother having a play. Silly sod.

They probably wouldn't have, @Andrewrallye and I were at the Carmarthen Camera & Optics show on Saturday and they had a 200-500 there. They would only let Andrew have a go of it on one of their display bodies, as the lens they was pre-production and they wouldn't let him use any cards either. They couldn't let any images get out into public. They didn't have a D4S on the stand so Andrew didn't bother having a play. Silly sod.
spoilsport's...

And another,some samples with the 1.4 but i cant get them to enlarge.

capture2.jpg

capture1.jpg

Not quite the same but gives an indication.
I'm still on the fence with this one against the 150-600 TBH :)

Back