Nikkor 35mm v 50mm lens

Rocket

CTID
Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Wonder if anyone has had experience with the following lenses.
Nikkor 35 f1.8 and the Nikkor 50mm f1.8.
If so how do you find the sharpness.
I do have a 50mm f1.8 and its really really sharp, but have never been able to compare it to a 35mm f1.8.

Anyone ?.

I've read that the 35mm is equally sharp. Using a FF or Crop sensor?

When I had the D7000, I had both the 50mm f1.8G and the 35mm f1.8G, and both were very very sharp.
I sold the 35 when I went full frame, but still use the 50.
I tried both the D and the G when I was buying the 50, and found the G sharper, and the bokeh better too.
But both were sharp.

Funnily enough...

I've had 2 of all the lenses in question here - both 50's and 2 of the 35mm afs.

First 50mm afd wasn't sharp until f2.5, current one is very sharp. As sharp as the afs and the 35/1.8g

Go with whatever you prefer - unless you get a crap 50/1.8D you'll be satisfied :)

Thanks guys.
Considering the 35mm as an option over the 50mm, as i wish to get closer to my subject.

I have had both and both were sharp wide open, the 50mm used to live on my D700 but now that I'm back to a D300 I went back to a 35mm as I find it's a better length for the crop sensor..

The 35mm 1.8G is one of Nikon's best bang for buck lenses ever.
You won't be disappointed.

I've got 35 & 50mm 1.8G's and they're both keepers- don't feel either is 'more' sharp.

I've got the 35mm f1.8g and I can't fault it in any way. I was tossing up the 35mm and the 50mm so fixedmy kit lens to both lengths and went for the 35mm purely because at 50mm I was struggling to get consistently far enough back from the subject in my house.

I've not actually used 50mm prime so can't comment on that but like I said above I can't fault the 35mm at all.

Something else I'd say about the 35mm lens is that if you don't like it you can usually sell it for similar to what you bought it for.

I have both and then to use the 35mm more over the 50mm f1.8d.

Have had AF 50mm, AFD 50mm, 35mm DX and AF35mm f2.

AF50mm was soft up till f4, acceptable beyond
50mm D is a lot better, usable wide open but certainly not pin sharp. Gets pretty good from about 2.8

35mm DX was about on par with the AF50mm, but with better contrast. Flared too much at small apertures for a modern lens IMO, was no better than my Sigma 17-70mm so I sold it.

35mm F2 is the one I like most, contrast is unsurpassed by any other lens I've used and it's super sharp all round and much sharper than the 50mms at f2. Doesn't hate backlighting although does have a pronounced amount of CA wide open. This is my go to lens if I can manage it, film or digital.

If it matters, the 50mms all have very dull colour rendition.

I have both the 35 1.8g and a 50 1.8d. This is my second 50 as i sold my previous one along with the rest of my gear a few years ago. It was my most used lens and for the price is pretty much unbeatable, its super sharp and produces some lovley bokeh!

I have only taken a few shots with the 35 so far and initial thoughts are its just as good sharpness wise but reports say its not so good at bokeh as the 50. Im going to be putting it through its paces today so i will report back with more findings later!

I have both the 50g and 35g. I suppose seeing as you already have a 50, your question is whether or not it's worth getting the 35 as well? I would say a definite yes to that. In the world of nikon, you don't get many opportunities to buy lenses of that quality for that sort of money. It's a great performer and a versatile focal length. Only two things I don't like about it, can't use it n FF and it's lack of a focus scale. Otherwise splendid.

Thanks all. great feed back.
My ONLY issue with the 50mm 1.8d that i struggled to get far enough back from my subject , thought the 35mm would be a better option.

So now i am on the search for a 35mm 1.8g. hint hint.

Why not put a wanted request in classifieds - I would answer it as i am going to sell mine.

The 35mm is not the most flattering portrait lens if that is what you are shooting.

Heather

Back