nikkor 500mm f/5.6e pf ed vr

Name
Robin
Edit My Images
Yes
Very tempted to pull the trigger on this, have the sigma 150=600 sport which i'm happy with though it is a heavy bulk, but will the IQ be significantly better ?? anyone used both?? (birds and wildlife) Z6ii

Last edited:
I think the only thing you'd miss is the lack of ability to zoom, but if you're mostly at 600mm that won't matter. I've not used a 150-600mm for more than a few days on a trial. I'm pretty confirdent you will see a significant difference at f5.6 - the 500 PF is a very sharp lens. I previously had a Nikon 200-400mm and I do miss the zoom, but it was sometimes not as sharp at greater distances. I'm using it on a Z9, but previously on a D850, and it's actually sharper on the Z9.

Can you hire one for a few days from Lenses For Hire?

Not quite at the same level, the only niggle for me is the f5.6. I will either go for the f4EFL or the f5.6 PF... Going to Costa Rica in March and Scotland, neither renowned for their light, so f4 holds great appeal for me. I've used both G and E f4s and liked them both, the E benefitting from newer tech and being 20% lighter than the G but now considering the f5.6. Decision complicated by the fact I have the 200-500 which is great but not prime level of IQ.

Not quite at the same level, the only niggle for me is the f5.6. I will either go for the f4EFL or the f5.6 PF... Going to Costa Rica in March and Scotland, neither renowned for their light, so f4 holds great appeal for me. I've used both G and E f4s and liked them both, the E benefitting from newer tech and being 20% lighter than the G but now considering the f5.6. Decision complicated by the fact I have the 200-500 which is great but not prime level of IQ.
I understand your predicament - I don't shoot wildlife, but do shoot a lot of sport at long tele lengths. I always go for the fast glass, despite the significant weight penalty, it's always worth it for my applications

Now i realise the primes are sharper but i often find only if pixel peeping and often the biggest difference is the price, its not i'm disappointed with the sigma . Far from it, just the weight for travelling but again that versatility ...................

Last edited:
Back