Beginner Nikkor 80-200 F2.8 AF-S operating instructions?

Name
jason
Edit My Images
Yes
Ive just bought a second hand 80-200 F2.8 AF-S twist zoom. I think this is the 4th gen version with twist zoom and three rubber AF LOCK buttons around the lens and tripod collar.

I know there is a autofocus issue with it but it looks well looked after and was an absolute STEAL!!

I'm looking for any help or instructions on how to get the best out of it. I will be mounting it to my Nikon D7200.

If it has autofocus failure, will the camera motor not assist with this?
There is a small lock switch on the aperture ring which locks it at f22?? What is this for? Do I need to set aperture manually?
Will the AF LOCK buttons work if the autofocus is broken?
The AF/M switch surround has a small crack around the corner screw which maybe why the AF is broken? Does anyone know if this can be replaced and return the AF to working order? If so, roughly what costs for this and a service?

Hi,
I recently looked in to having a nikon 55-200 lens repaired, issue is sticking af motor, I was given a rough guide price of £145 + vat + postage both ways, it worked out cheaper to replace the lens with a near new second hand lens from a dealer, of which I now have and works perfectly.
If the lens has cracks it sounds like it's been dropped which would couse more issues than just af malfunction, you may find that manual focus is out due to glass miss alignment.

Being an AF-S lens, there will be no coupling to the camera's internal focus motor so the internal motor cannot operate the lens. The lens can only AF using its own built in motor.

You need to lock the aperture ring at f/22. The camera can then take charge of aperture control like any other lens.

Not sure on the AF lock button but if the AF is actually broken then there is nothing to lock so I guess they'd be redundant.

Unlikely that's the fault but no harm in unscrewing the switch assembly and checking the wire connector hasn't come adrift behind it. More likely, someone has removed it in the past to see if it would fix the AF issue and they've overtightened it putting it back on. It's very easily done. Worth a little look to see if there's anything obvious going on though.

Thanks bud. The lens hasn't been dropped. Just a corner crack from over tightening I guess. Tried a quick shot on the Christmas decorations. The focus is super fine and you need to be accurate.

Lenses designed for AF aren't always easy to MF - the throw between near and far focus is usually a lot shorter than it was on MF lenses so fine adjustment can be awkward.

Ive just bought a second hand 80-200 F2.8 AF-S twist zoom. I think this is the 4th gen version with twist zoom and three rubber AF LOCK buttons around the lens and tripod collar.

I know there is a autofocus issue with it but it looks well looked after and was an absolute STEAL!!

I'm looking for any help or instructions on how to get the best out of it. I will be mounting it to my Nikon D7200.

If it has autofocus failure, will the camera motor not assist with this?
There is a small lock switch on the aperture ring which locks it at f22?? What is this for? Do I need to set aperture manually?
Will the AF LOCK buttons work if the autofocus is broken?
The AF/M switch surround has a small crack around the corner screw which maybe why the AF is broken? Does anyone know if this can be replaced and return the AF to working order? If so, roughly what costs for this and a service?

Likely the AF motor has gone, as said ... instruction manual may be useful: https://cdn-10.nikon-cdn.com/pdf/manuals/archive/AF-S Zoom-Nikkor ED 80-200mm f-2.8D IF.pdf

Back