Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking at using one of these on a Nikon D90, has anyone got any stories, experience with this lens or lens & body combo?

If so, if you could share some examples that would be very much appreciated!

Regards,
Chris

Yes Steve. :)

I have one back in the UK....really nice feel to the lens....built like a tank and i have used it with both D90 and D300. Balance felt better with D300 but it was by no means a problem with the D90. The D90 motor drives the AF ok but not as snappy as the D300. Produced nice images (well for me that is :LOL:)

Thanks for that :)! Have you got a Flickr or something with any of these photos, I'd love to see them.

No sorry Chris....my photos are not good enough to post on line...:eek:

but i am back in the UK after next weekend and will upload a couple from the PC and post them on here if you want.

Hey, I have the AF-S version but the optics is the same with the AF-D versions I think...
Use it for mainly for sports and a bit of wild life photography.
I have this lens baby on my d300, not the d90 though...
Anyway, I love my 80-200, really enjoy the fast aperture and incredible sharpness!
The only downside is probably the weight. I find it quite heavy if you have to run up and down with it all day long.
Also it's a bit awkward with 80-200 instead of the new 70-200.... if you have a 24-70, it kind of feels like you have a little gap there but it's no big deal really.
I really love this lens, and will definitely recommend it to everyone and it's a bargain compare to the 70-200 VR lenses...
Got a few shots here and if you have any question, feel free to ask! :D

Contemplating. by Jules.T, on Flickr

Ordinary autumn day of a deer. by Jules.T, on Flickr

_ST11187-1 by Jules.T, on Flickr

_ST11364-1 by Jules.T, on Flickr

Last edited:
Brilliant, thank you very much! Indeed it is a bargain, mainly why I'm going for it as I don't really have the money for the 70-200mm f/2.8 VR I/II.

Regarding the weight, I've been using a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG recently so I would be used to the weight.

Thank you very much,
Chris

Maccers said:
Brilliant, thank you very much! Indeed it is a bargain, mainly why I'm going for it as I don't really have the money for the 70-200mm f/2.8 VR I/II.

Regarding the weight, I've been using a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG recently so I would be used to the weight.

Thank you very much,
Chris

No problem! Glad I can help. It's half the price of the 70-200mm so it is a really nice alternative. If you are used to the weight that's even better!! I have been using primes before I got mine and it took me a while to get used to it... :)

Thank you very much,
Chris

Slightly off topic but why change from the sigma to the Nikon. I only ask as these are both on my upgrade list and I am undecided as to which one to get :bang:

Cheers

Nick

The 80-200 is a fantastic lens and back when it was available new for only a couple of hundred quid more than the plastic 70-300 VR it was a total bargain.

I used mine initially on a D80 and my only real issue with the lens was that it felt very nose-heavy, I was always expecting it to rip the lens mount out of the plastic body of the camera.

It never did, of course, but to my mind the who ensemble felt less well balanced than the D80/70-300 setup.

Slightly off topic but why change from the sigma to the Nikon. I only ask as these are both on my upgrade list and I am undecided as to which one to get :bang:

Cheers

Nick
Because the Sigma I bought of eBay had a focussing issue, and it was just causing me problems.

Back