Nikon 10-20/22mm

Name
Pat MacInnes
Edit My Images
Yes
So, I hear a lot of talk about Sigma's 10-20mm and Canon's 10-22mm on here but alas, us poor Nikon users don't have a dedicated Nikkor equivalent.

Okay, there's the 12-24mmNikkor DX but it's at least £300 more than the Siggy and it doesn't have that extra 2mm of focal length that we all seem to crave.

Anyone heard on the grapevine if Nikon will challenge what seems to be the most popular wide-angle zoom at a similar (sub-£450) price?

I've got a few mates who own the 10-20mm Sigma but I have to say it's left me a little underwhelmed; yes, it offers extreme wide-angle versatility without resorting to a fisheye (and all those converging lines) but fringing and CA seem to be rife on the Siggy on the three examples I've seen and used. It obviously hits the mark price-wise but come on, it really isn't that good a lens, is it?

Nikon, please give us loyal NAF users some eye-candy in the shape of a quality optic that we can boast about to the Sigma and canon users...

**Ducks and runs for cover**

Okay, there's the 12-24mmNikkor DX but it's at least £300 more than the Siggy and it doesn't have that extra 2mm of focal length that we all seem to crave.

Nikon don't need to bring out a 10-20mm lens. How much difference will that 2mm make? I reckon about the same as taking one, possibly two strides backwards. Don't forget that until the digital revolution most photographers were quite happy to have 28mm as their wide angle lens, that's almost 19mm in DX terms.

Now we come to the cost, but what do you want, cheapness or quality? Sure it's not a simple equation but in the main you get what you pay for.

So, in conclusion just be grateful that you have the choice of a cheaper Sigma and a more expensive Nikkor. All you have to do is work out which one provides you with the best value.

All I'm saying is the 'wider the better' for many people and I'm simply surprised that with Nikon's recent offensive to capture first-timers with the D40x and D60, I thught there would be a lens to rival the popular Sigma and Canon models at a similar price.

Yes, 2mm isn't much – I know that – but to many tech heads, 2mm is the difference between a sale or them walking away.

The cost. Yes, you do get what you pay for*–*that's evident with the Sigma – but I'm just surprised Nikon hasn't decided to try and steal market share from the others by introducing an equivalent lens price-wise that trumps the rest optically, especially when £650 for the 12-24mm is well beyond most photographer's reach. It may be a great lens but it's bloody expensive.

Be grateful!!! Don't be patronising...

Anyone heard on the grapevine if Nikon will challenge what seems to be the most popular wide-angle zoom at a similar (sub-£450) price?
Collectively I think this forums' users waste many hours speculating about what will/will not be released next, what the spec will be, etc.

The Sigma 10-20 is a great lens, and the results speak for themselves.

I couldn't believe my luck when Nikon launched the 12-24 and I managed to snap one up for only £900 !!!

I'd much rather Nikon concentrated on quality first, then price, as I see no value in them producing something that'll be slated for an increase in market share

BMW don't do a Kia competitor super-mini for the same reason - it'd harm their 'Brand'
So I'm with NorthernNikon, step back!

DD

Have to agree with mattyh.

It isn't PIN sharp at 100% crops, unlike my 50mm, but considering its price and its FL, I'm not surprised. It is sharp enough for my liking, and I've not had any vignetting, or fringing, or anything that I look at and think, "ooh, thats not right :thinking:"

For the price (£250 for mine!) I think it is a fantastic lens, and if I had to make the choice again, I would definitely buy it. If the Canon 10-22 was the same price (its over £100 more expensive) it would be a no-brainer, however.

If you wanted to go really wide, Sigma have a 4.5mm fisheye out (or at least coming out) :p

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tokina/11-16mm.htm

KR does use a lot of hyperbole, but the samples speak for themselves.

Ah, okay. I'll wait until I see a report from a bone fide reviewer then ;)

Not that I disbelieve the fact that a third party lens can be better than a Nikkor, I'm certainly not one of those who think that only proprietory brands will do, I just don't rate Rockwell.

I had the Sigma 10-20 and now have the Nikon 12-24. I don't miss the extra 2mm and I paid around £450 for a UK copy a few months back around the time of Focus on Imaging show.

For me, the Sigma had less 'curve distortion'.
The Nikon has better image quality and build.

Pay your money, take your choice! From a Nikon point of view, they already do a 10.5mm fisheye and have recently released the non DX 14-24 to marry up with the D3 mainly, so can't really see them releasing a 10mm to ? zoom in the near future.

Last time I looked Nikon made kit for photographers not tech heads.

Excuseth me!! So all the people on here who are interested in technology aren't photographers? That's saying anyone who's into gear (tackle tarts we call them in the angling industry) is a numpty who couldn't take a good shot if they tried and knows nothing about the art form they're buiying into. Please, get of your high horse and join the rest of us who apparently don't have your level of disposable income to blow on expensive gear....

Fruitflakes, have heard this lens is a good 'un. But it's not a Sigma – how will we cope!! :) Rockwell's test certainly shows a big difference between the Nikkor and the Tokina.

By the way guys, I'm not buying any lens, just merely trying to gauge people's reactions to the proposal (if it ever happened) that Nikon would enter into the battlezone that is the 'cheaper' (not cheap) end of the wide-angle lens market. So much is made in magazines and on this forum about the Sigma and the Canon zoom, I'm just surprised that Nikon haven't eneterd the areana too.

NorthernNikon, I doubt there's a plaque or something of the like at Nikon saying they should never make budget gear. They are willing to take Canon, Pentax and Olympus head-on with the D40/D40x/D60 so why not in lens circles? Are you saying Nikon is based on snobbery?

Back