Nikon 105mm F2 DC

Name
Danny
Edit My Images
No
Hey all

I've searched on here but can't find a lot on it.

With all the current fuss over the 85 1.4G and sigma 85 1.4, its got me wondering why this lens is a bit in the background? It's a very similar price after all.

I'm not buying one. Just interested :)

Regards

Danny

Always been the same, probably because it is not fashionable, it certainly produces some stunning images.

I have often considered swapping my 105VR Macro for one.

Was vaguely interested in this for the low f# but on reading reviews says its not a 1:1 macro (which the 105mm micro is) so decided against pursuing :)

its not meant to be a macro lens which is why i have both?

it is though along with the 135mm a superb portrait and general short telephoto lens.
it has the ability for you to blur the background and foreground as you like.
i have used it at concerts as well.
it is built to a very high standard makes a lot of newer lens look cheap.
check out nikon cafe for images and glowing revues

I just bought the 135mm f/2 DC last week, still getting used to using the defocus control, but the build quality and IQ is very pleasing.

Hmmmm, no matter how hard I look, I can't find any information about why this isn't every bit as popular as the 85m 1.4s...it's only 1 stop slower which isn't a deal breaker for most work. And the most famous feature of the 85mm 1.4 is the BOKEH, but the 105 and 135 DC lenses have even better bokeh from what I can see?? After all that's pretty much what they were designed for isnt it?

I might just break the trend and make the 105mm DC my next lens purchase ;)

MPB have one in at £599 and Uncle Ken has a review of the 135mm:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/135mm-f2-dc.htm

When I was looking into the 135mm DC I found it probably wasn't popular due to a combination of cost and lack of understanding what 'defocus control' was. Set the DC to neutral though and you have a very sharp 135mm lens, play about with the DC and the background melts away. The only thing I'd say is with the 105mm you have the option of the 105mm VR Micro which is dual purpose, it can be used for portraits and macro so that's something to consider.

I think the popularity of the 85mm's may be due to the fact that it's a slightly more versatile/ useful focal length for most people.

Yeah I found the 85mm f/1.2 about as much as I'd want to go for portraits on a 1.6 crop, any longer and I'd have been standing outside to get the subject in frame. The Nikon/Canon 85mm is still a very nice lens, but there is something special about the DC to me.

Yeah I found the 85mm f/1.2 about as much as I'd want to go for portraits on a 1.6 crop, any longer and I'd have been standing outside to get the subject in frame. The Nikon/Canon 85mm is still a very nice lens, but there is something special about the DC to me.

I guess it depends what size work space you have, and to what you refer as a portrait. I shoot portraits, but anything from tight headshots to kids playing in the park, and that can mean a massive range of focal lengths.

I like to keep things as long as possible, ideally I'd shoot headshots with a 200mm f2 ;)

When I had Canon gear the 300mm f/2.8 IS was wonderful for head shots, the 85mm f/1.2 II was a particular favourite as well. When I jumped to Nikon I liked the look of the 200mm f/2, but in the end went for the 70-200mm VR II + 135mm f/2 DC. The versatility of the 70-200mm and the inclusion of the VR II pushed it over the edge.

I wouldn't rule out the 105mm VR either, it is a great lens for what I think (these days anyway) is a bargain price.

When I was looking into the 135mm DC I found it probably wasn't popular due to a combination of cost and lack of understanding what 'defocus control' was.

I think that's it. It has the reputation of being a hard lens to get the best out of. I believe you can't see the DC effect through the lens so it's a matter of <shudder> actually knowing how to use it :)

MPB have one in at £599

S'funny. But they don't any more.....

I've been planning to try one for a while and that's about £150 less than other mint copies I'd seen. I figured if I can't find a permanent use for it then 3 months' depreciation would be less than 2 weeks' rental :)

My accountant's good with things like that.

Back