Nikon 14-24 Help!!!

Edit My Images
No
Just taken the new 14-24 out for a spin and when I got the images on screen there was a huge amount of dust spotting.

My first thoughts were.. argghh, what the hell has happened to my sensor but a quick check showed it to be clean as a whistle.

I can only assume that its the small amount of dust on the outer element and due to the super wide focal nature of the lens this shows more. Has anyone else experienced this? Am I just being thick and my inexperience with super wide focal lengths is showing?

Any thoughts?

Its not going to be dust in or on the lens. This will never ever show up.

Try another lens at f/22 and you'll see spots in the same place.

Sounds very strange, and exactly like sensor dust. Are you sure its spotless?

Gary.

Nope, on further investigation the thing is bloody filthy. I really need to improve practice when adding tele's at football games :(

Looks like I'm going to need to swab the D3 for the first time. Any tips?

Nope, on further investigation the thing is bloody filthy. I really need to improve practice when adding tele's at football games :(

Looks like I'm going to need to swab the D3 for the first time. Any tips?

Only one tip!! Be careful ;)

Gary.

Its not going to be dust in or on the lens. This will never ever show up.
You might be surprised .....

I recently bought a Sigma 4.5mm fisheye. I had to send it back because there were a couple of small marks on the front element, and they showed up in pictures even at f/2.8. (OK, only barely, and only if you knew what to look for. But even so...)

This is at f/16 - the two marks on the front element are clearly visible (the rest is sensor dust).

DSC_0095-600px.jpg

You might be surprised .....

I recently bought a Sigma 4.5mm fisheye. I had to send it back because there were a couple of small marks on the front element, and they showed up in pictures even at f/2.8. (OK, only barely, and only if you knew what to look for. But even so...)

This is at f/16 - the two marks on the front element are clearly visible (the rest is sensor dust).

DSC_0095-600px.jpg

Quite surprised by that, how big were the marks? I guess given the huge angle of view on these things, I can see how a mark might show up, but pretty surprised nevertheless!

Sensor cleaning really isn't that hard, get some of the preprepared swab sticks and you'll have it done in no time :)

I carried out my first ever sensor clean recently. Rocket blower didn't shift the dust, but my Arctic Butterfly brush did. Having a sensor loupe is very, very handy!

Yeah the Arctic Butterfly is good but the grime on my sensor today was beyond it :(

I've got some swabs so may have a go in the next few days. Sensor loupe might be a good investment.

The sensor is quite difficult to clean spotlessly-well, but also darned difficult to damage while attempting to do so. Just about the worst you can do (unless you use a Kango or HF acid) is to push the dirt around and not remove it. Don't forget that you are actually cleaning the low-pass filter, not the actual sensor itself.

Back