Nikon 17-55 2.8 is it really worth it!

Name
Russell Bates
Edit My Images
Yes
Just looking for a few opinion ideally from those that have used both. Basically looking for a decent walkabout lens for my newly purchased d200.

Browsing eBay I have been looking at either a 24-70 or 17-55 not sure which yet.

My main question is the price difference between the Nikon lenses and sigma ones really worth it?? I just watched a nikon 17-55 2.8 go for £690 on ebay and shortly after the same lens but from Sigma for a mere £150. Is it really worth going with the nikon for that huge price difference??

Great joe, are you going for the Nikon version, or something a little less pricey??

Russ, the 17-55mm is a great lens and is rarely off my camera, I bought a second hand one which cosmetically is nothing great to look at but is optically perfect and pinsharp. I can't speak for the Sigma from a personal point of view but a friend has one and he found it noisy and a bit slow to focus, needless to say he outed it after he tried mine. :D

Im hoping to pick up a 17-55 2.8 this afternoon! Will let you know how I find it! :D

Niiiice! (y)

Sigma stuff is always lacking in one or more areas compared with Nikon gear, how else are they to under cut ?
I have a couple of Sigma lenses, and I don't really like either of them, but they are cheap comparatively.
If I had the dosh, I wouldn't go near Sigma.
So in a nutshell, Nikon is worth it....unless you can't afford it:)

I absolutely love my 17-55. It is a cracking lens. Feels great, performance is spot on. In my honest opinion, it the is the nicest lens I own. Simple as that really. Get one. you wont be dissapointed.

Joe, Good work on the new purchase mate!

pics.gif

I have one too and would highly recommend it. It's a great all rounder for landscape, portrait and travel and is still my favourite lens.

Back