Nikon 17-55 f2.8 questions/thoughts

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

I'm thinking of trading my Nikon 12-24 f4 & Sigma 24-70 for one of theses beasties, and would like your thoughts on am i doing the right thing :shrug:

I shoot pretty much anything and everything that i like the look of, and have the 70-200. Would the 55-70 gap be missed?

Any pros and cons would be greatly appreciated.

TIA (y)

You are more likely to miss the 12-16mm gap than the 55-70mm gap.

I have one, and have to say it never disappoints.

Paul, not sure if you know about this, but if you go to this site http://stats.ghusse.com/ you can log into your flickr account and it will give stats on the focal lengths you have used. If there aren't too many in the 55-70 range you can go ahead and spend more money! ;)

I have the 17-55 the siggy 24-70 and the 70-200.

The 17-55 is a great lens butonly you know if you will miss te slight gap in the middle.

Alternatively keep the siggy and save a little longer.

Would the 55-70 gap be missed?

For me, it wouldn't be an issue. For you, it may be different. ;)

As above, go and have a look at what images you've taken within that focal range....remember, you can also move your feet now and again! :p

I've always had that gap - first with the Tamron 17-50/Nikon 80-200 and now with the 17-55/70-200 combo.

Depending on which lens is fitted you either take a step forward or take a step back ;)

I've always had that gap - first with the Tamron 17-50/Nikon 80-200 and now with the 17-55/70-200 combo.

Depending on which lens is fitted you either take a step forward or take a step back ;)

Ah yes the old "foot Zoom" :)

Thanks for the imput guys. I will have a look at that range finder thing ( i'm sure its bookmarked at home).

I took my 17-55 with me to the US recently and I hardly took it off. The only time I had to was to take shots that required 200mm or wide shots with my 10-20mm. As most my shots were landscape and portrait type shots, it was perfect.

Just checked this and i doubt I would miss the gap to be honest. I had a few at 16 but that was from the 16-85 i had for a while, so wont miss that. Hardly any below that to note. I am getting used to lugging the 70-200 around now, and although i would love a 24-70 Nikon, it seems I would get more (on camera) use from the 17-55. I dont mind swapping lenses, but for just ambling about, maybe this would stay on a bit longer. Wheres that razor sharp 10-300 f2.8 :LOL:

Back