Nikon 18-200mm

Name
Ste
Edit My Images
Yes
I've never owned this lens mainly because i got what ya see below.

The thing is read alot of conficting reports about this lens some say it's excellent while other say it bad.

So those that do own it how do you rate it good,bad or just convenient.

Reasonably happy with mine. Convenient would be the best way to describe it. Nice zoom for a walkabout lens, I just wish mine was a little faster and a little sharper. If I had my time again, I would have kept my 18-70 (which was pin sharp) and bought a 70-300.

I did own it. I used it only as a holiday lens and it was fine. Its certainly not as bad as some say. (or at least mine wasn't)
At the end of the day, if we ask a lens to magnify 10 x then there is going to have to be a compromise somewhere.
As always, it depends on your needs and expectations from a lens. I liked it for the range it covered. But your 70-300mm is a superb lens for the money. I had one of those too.
The 18-200mm vr is a good walkabout lens that you will never get results like you would out of a 70-200mm vr. So long as you accept that, then you will be happy with it. ;)

I agree about he 18-70mm. Cracking lens! Had one of those too. :D

Kev.

I had one and sold it too when I got the 70-200 VR, found I never used it anymore.good general use lens

I've kept my 18-70 :D

Well I really like mine. I will be selling mine though but ONLY because it is a DX lens and I am buying a D700 !! It has an amazing range which makes it a fantastic walk about.

I also own a 18-200 VR, very happy for my use which is a general walkabout lens.

I had a bit of mixed experience with my 18-200. When I first bought it I was happy enough but after a few weeks it would not focus at 200mm although it was ok at the shorter focal lengths. The real kicker is that this happened while I was on holiday in South Africa and I lost some nice shots :crying: Lucky I had my Sigma 150mm with me. I took the lens back to Nikon as I live near their main UK office just outside of Kingston and it took them about 4 WEEKS :eek::thumbsdown: to fix it. As much as I was unhappy about the slow service I was very pleased with the lens after the repair :).

Everything was fine until I decided I wanted a UWA and set my sights on the Tokina 11-16. Two simple facts came into play, my camera bag could not take all my lenses so one had to go, the other fact was that I needed a bit of cash :shrug:

So I sold my 18-200 :crying::crying:

BUT, I sold it to my next door neighbour so I can still borrow it if necessary :clap:

Back