Nikon 18-200vr Help

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi
I have hired a Nikon 18-200 VR for a wedding i have on saturday (i know its not the best choice but the lens i wanted was out of stock ever where)

Looking through the instructions it says

"if you set the AF Start(AF ON) button ON on the camera, vibration reduction will not opperate.

What does this mean?

also i had a try of the lens, when i push the button half way to auto focus the lens clicks then when the shot has been taken it clicks again. I thought i would be able to feel the lens compensating for the shake but i can't.

any help on this would be great

Paul

I think what it means is that if you have the camera set up to use the AF ON button to operate auto-focus, auto focusing will not start the VR on the lens. In this case, the VR will start with a half press of the shutter (which also operates auto focus if you don't use AF ON).

So, with AF ON for focus, you would focus with the AF ON button, depress the shutter halfway to initiate VR, and then all the way to take the shot. VR lenses always need a fraction of a secound for the VR to kick in.

The 18-200 VR noise is very quiet and difficult to hear/feel normally. You can tell if its working by zooming to 200mm and looking through the viewfinder. Half depress the shutter button and you should see the image stabilise in the viewfinder.

Hope I've explained it properly. :)

Hi ..................

"if you set the AF Start(AF ON) button ON on the camera, vibration reduction will not opperate.

What does this mean?

Paul

My D300 has this (AF ON) button on the back. If I press this, the lens will autofocus but the VR doesnt work. Pressing the shutter release enables AF and VR, and, yes, you will hear a click when VR starts up ( it takes a short while to start and stabilise)
If the D200 has this or an equivalent button, I should stay away from it!

Using the 18-200VR for a wedding isnt a bad thing to do either. A friend of mine borrowed my D200 with that lens to shoot a wedding and the results were very very good. He is borrowing my D300 and lens on saturday to do another one.
I doubt you would get the better low light shots with this lens without a flash, as opposed to a more "pro" lens, but there is no reason you cannot shoot a good set of pictures that the happy couple will treasure.
Good luck with the shoot.

Allan

Back