Nikon 18-70 kit lens broke today ..?

Forbiddenbiker

The Enforcer
Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
Out of the blue, zooming out casually, small click sound ..now it won't zoom fully in either direction. AF still works, maybe a little slower, not sure.

Oh poo, :( .. right in the midst of a lengthy wander too.

Anyone seen this before?

Easy fix?... can I do it myself? :naughty:

Also has anyone any idea where can I get this fixed... East London way? (y)

Whilst I understand this is totally the opposite of helpfull, I have absolutey no idea. Never heard of that fault before. inquire as to how much it might cost to get it looked at or repaired, and then cross refference that with the price of a new one. if it comes close, bin it and buy a new one. I had one of those lenses for a while and not a single fault with it. Sorry I can't be of more help chief!

Thanks Woodsy, thats good advice, I'll do just that.

Thinking about why it happened, I reckon just before I may have got it entwined with a bit of bush, I remember it being slightly caught, and Knowing me I gave it a small tug to get it free. :( :bang:

...Its possible I may have a bit of stick down the side of the zoom slide I'm thinking/hoping.

Shall I undo those small cross head screws on the back ...or would that be stupid?

:D

If that happened to one of my cheaper lenses I would have a go at taking it apart, but that’s just me. its your call though :)

You may well be able to see something inside if you take the screws out, and the lens may come apart. It certainly seems to be the final stage of putting it together, so give it a go if you want. Bare in mind, that if something has snapped or sheared inside, the chances are you wont be able to fix it.

I personally would, but that's just me. If something has broken, you're gonna end up paying money anyways, so give it a go :D

I took a Canon zoom lens apart some time ago after it dropped off a chair onto a solid wood floor. I managed to fix it too. Just be very careful and pull everything apart gently, and get a little box for all the screws.
Oh, and good luck!
Allan

If you do take it apart take photos of every stage otherwise you'll forget how to put it back together (I do the same with fiddly bits on the car):thinking:

and it will give us something to look at as well(y)

Cheers for all the advice chapss, I like that bit about the screws being the last bit, spot on woodsy.....
...I'm going in for sure... but not today because although I'm a skilled motorcycle mechanic with a van, shed and other places full of tools ... I don't have a tool that'll fit those screws.. LOL.

PsiFox, thanks for that link (y)... that'll do me for backup hopefully.

I'll let you all know how it went, possibly even pictures. :D

Back