nikon 180mm f2.8

Edit My Images
Yes
as much as i can rave about it for value for money, the truth is the only lens i don't like in my collection is the sigma 70-300 apo dg, and the only reason i don't like it is the focusing. i hate the noise, speed and the fact it rotates my polariser all around the place.

toying with the idea of a 180 f2.8 secondhand. they go for about £300 and people seem to rave highly about them being one of nikons best lenses. i'm not sure about my use of it. the reason it's hard to justify is that the sigma is nice and sharp from f8 if a little slow. also being an f2.8 lens i presume i can use a 1.4x or 2x converter on it?

the problem is i played with one 6 months ago and i've been in love with it ever since. it's a nice small size for a lens of it's type and i thik it would be good to trvel with to accompany my 10-20 and 18-70. but then i should probably really buy the nikon 24-120 VR or 18-200 if i was sensible, but i just don;t really want a do-it-all lens and it's a lot of money to spend on a lens you don't want!

has anyone got any experience with the 180 f2.8 or can someone make my mind up for me please.
smile.gif

If you have the time and can do without the zoom facility, it's always better to go for a Prime lens over a zoom. Nikkor Prime lenses are still the best, whereas Canon's zooms have the edge in that market.
Years ago I used a 24mm; 35mm; 105mm and 135mm and that was it. Nowadays I have to use zooms for work, but I still remember the simplicity of a good prime.

fair advice, and i should have all the time in the world as it's a nice long holiday :)

i'd like the 135 but it's out of budget at the min. have you used the 180 before rob, or heard much about it?

thanks

Noah - I have one these which I got really cheap (£169 - It was described as slighty "scruffy" but there's only a slight mark on the barrel and lenshood)! Our friends has borrowed it so I've not seen it for a while. It's a magnificent performer but I have a 70-200mm VR G Nikkor so I don't miss it that much. Now Marianne has discovered the beauty of that zoom I must make some attempt at getting the 180mm back..... ;)

Anyway, here's a shot taken with it in mid-winter on a D100 a couple of years ago from a NEF. It's warm 'cos the sun had only just got up ( a bit like me - although I was cold :) probably a bit of camera shake thru chattering teeth)!

clicky thing here (warning 1.7Mb full frame)

looks pretty darn sharp, if you fancy geting rid of it drop me a pm ;)

well... i've bought one :D

finally found a cheap one from fixation in london. it was only £188 and looks to be in reasonable nick except for a few scuffs, but thats no probs for me. they've checked it over and say it's mechanically sound so just to sit and wait until monday now :)

it arrived and its is very very sharp

1/2500 f2.8 iso200 and 180mm of course

v.near 100% centre crop
180-2.jpg

Very sharp, it obviously pays to have good glass!

Back