Nikon 200-400mm F4

Name
rob
Edit My Images
Yes
wondered for years what they were like and two friends love theirs...so i decided to bite the bullet and try one.got a great deal on one so i`ll give it a whirl.off to RAF Marham tomorrow for a base visit and evening shoot so we`ll see.

Mk2 I'm guessing? I see you sold your 300? Or traded? Cannot wait to see your images from it especially on base :)

I too went from a 300 f2.8 to the 200-400 f4. The main reason was the flexibility of a zoom as was always taking teleconverters on and off with the 300. I've had a bit of a love/hate relationship with the 200-400. I love the flexibility of being able to frame an image properly rather than shoot wide and crop. Getting close up with 400mm then a wider environmental view at 200mm with a quick turn of the ring is brilliant, it's much easier and quicker than doing the same framing with a 300 and teleconverters. My hate is the weight, it's big and heavy, it feels much heavier than the 300 f2.8. I've probably not used it as much as I should in the last year, this is partly because of the weight but also because the places I've visited have been more suited to a 70-200 f2.8. I just need to find a few more subjects it suits, recently I've favoured wildlife that I can get up close to.

cheers rob,
i`m sure i`ll curse it now and then and it took me a while to get past not buying a prime.i`ve owned a Nikon 400mm F2.8 ans that was a killer during airshows lol

Compared to a 400 f2.8 it will probably seem light! There is nothing wrong with the 200-400, I just need to man up a bit and get out using it more! I've got plans for deer and seals in September/October when it will be my go to lens.

tbh, I wasn't as impressed with the 200-400 as I'd hoped (VR1 not the newer version) AF not as quick as 300 or 400 primes.
Hope you find yours fine though Rob. :cool:

AF seems very quick tbh...perhaps very slightly slower than the 300 prime.

I took one to RIAT a couple of years ago... To be honest, I wasn't impressed with the one I had. I had a rental and I thought there was something wrong with it but unsurprisingly, the rental company said it was fine when they tested it. :/

With it being a zoom, I guess if it needs micro AF tuning to a body it could be an issue, if used at all lengths & infinity to near.

This review seems to think the lens is great when trying to shoot close items and not so good if there quite far away, the very few shots ive taken seem to bare that out but seeing as i will be using it for sport mainly i dont think ill suffer, oh and it will live on a monopod lol

http://www.bythom.com/Nikkor-200-400mm-lensreview.htm

This review seems to think the lens is great when trying to shoot close items and not so good if there quite far away, the very few shots ive taken seem to bare that out but seeing as i will be using it for sport mainly i dont think ill suffer, oh and it will live on a monopod lol

http://www.bythom.com/Nikkor-200-400mm-lensreview.htm
Thats one of the reviews I read before getting one. I do agree its great up to 10-15m, up to 30m its pretty good. I've not used it enough above this distance because of that review. Looking at some of the images I've take over 30m they are quite reasonable, probably better than i was expecting after that review. I generally shy away from long distance images as i feel you don't get the same sharpness as close up, I much prefer the close and personally approach.

OP, care to share how much you paid for it. I had one on sale here recently and didn't get a sniff.
£1900 mate.
BUT......took it to RAF Marham for a shoot and the keeper rate is very poor.i had fine tuned it on delivery but not happy with it.returned it yesterday for a full refund.

just out of interest what body did you use mate?

ta, there is talk in the reviews it may better better suited to the D4's etc. due to the focusing system, but Im not familier with that camera, I cant wait to try mine in anger

.....the keeper rate is very poor.i had fine tuned it on delivery but not happy with it.

Shame that, Rob, but I found the same & it seems quite common.

I've found the newer 80-400 better for me than the 200-400, but obviously not F4 + your targets tend to be moving at a fair lick!

I picked up a 300 VR II like you were selling Rob I forgot how nice these are, just that bit more hand holdable and stunning image quality and focusing as you know ;)

ive just had a play on a monopod in the back garden, light wasn't brilliant so average shutter was 250-400th with static objects no more than 50mtrs away and the lens is a sharp as a pin, next need to test properly on fast moving objects, I was using my D810 as I havent (still!!!!) received my D4s from customs yet

ive just had a play on a monopod in the back garden, light wasn't brilliant so average shutter was 250-400th with static objects no more than 50mtrs away and the lens is a sharp as a pin, next need to test properly on fast moving objects, I was using my D810 as I havent (still!!!!) received my D4s from customs yet
Mine has been very good too. Used with d3 and D4. When I first got it I took some trial shots of a seagull, I was so pleased and impressed I actually laughed. It was like getting into the tvr for the first time. However I have never used hand held, always on mono/tripod. A tip is to make sure the filter lens is clean, it can easily get forgotten sitting in its slot out of site.

i think you cant see the 7000px version, i can post 100% crops if wanted

I have owned the 200-400mm three times now. Long story. I had no problems at all with my VRI and now own the VRII. Again, no problems. Doubt I will part with it to be honest.

A friend of mine has one and his wasn't anywhere near as sharp as mine. But he sent it to Nikon for a service and it is spot on now. For things like airshows, it is invaluable. I have owned the 300mm 2.8 and the 500mm f4. Both superb.
I now have the 600mm f4, but still use my 200-400mm a lot.

I have used all of my 200-400mm's on bodies ranging from the D3 up to the now D5. So maybe the body has something to do with it. Don't know.

Kev.

I have 3 mates who shoot aviation and love theirs.i know the lens is highly rated but looks like I got a dud.

Back