Nikon 200 500 f4.5

LASTOLITE

No longer has 4 inches
Name
Bill
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone have this lens and can give any insight, some rave about it with the D500 and Ive read some other IQ issues and softness at the long end, conflicting info But mostly good reviews. Just would like an owners input on a D810 or D500?

Thanks.

Amazingly good value for money in my opinion, I have no complaints at any zoom level

Edited with following
I use it on D500 and waited too long to get one as I always focused on the bad reviews, I have nothing but praise for this combo and focus speed looks slow in reviews but in use it’s not a problem, in Scotland it kept up with diving White Tailed Sea Eagles, last week it kept up with 500knot passing typhoon in the Mach loop not an easy task, I missed the shots with bad panning but all in focus !

Last edited:
It's f5.6 not 4.5 ... great on the D850.

It's f5.6 not 4.5 ... great on the D850.
That could be why I can’t find a 200-500 4.5 then, seen this thread and never heard of it.

Lenstip have added it to their testing database.

It’s no better or worse than the other super zooms such as Sigma and Tamron 150-600’s.

Common complaints are weight and slow focusing.

I bought one for my D500 to use at the a Yorkshire Wildlife Park to give me a bit more flexibility than carrying two bodies. Great combination and takes a 1.4 tc pretty good to. Any of the latest few albums will be with this combo.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/34602686@N05/albums
Some great shots there, love the cone shots!

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I appreciate it, Sorry for getting the max apeture wrong I have looked at so many lens details over the last week...

Last edited:
Good deals on with cashback at the moment - toying up either this or the 200-400 VR in the classifieds. Seems consensus is that 200-500 is a winner.

Good deals on with cashback at the moment - toying up either this or the 200-400 VR in the classifieds. Seems consensus is that 200-500 is a winner.

What about the Sigma 500mm f/4 sport I have in the classifieds? ... would stop me having to buy a D500 or D850 and so save me a fortune in the long run (because as soon as I get the body I would want a fast wide, then something as a walkaround, then something like a 70-200mm then something lighter than the 500mm, then .... it just goes on and on)

What about the Sigma 500mm f/4 sport I have in the classifieds? ... would stop me having to buy a D500 or D850 and so save me a fortune in the long run (because as soon as I get the body I would want a fast wide, then something as a walkaround, then something like a 70-200mm then something lighter than the 500mm, then .... it just goes on and on)

Size Mike, plus the versatility of the zoom range. Testing the 200-500 in Kingston's Jessops I was pleasantly in awe of the sharpness at 500 mm...Main purpose of lens is for Costa Rica in May next year, so all I will need to take are the 24-120, 70-200, 200-500 and 180 macro. Snag with the D500 and D850 at the moment are the XQD options, I got my cards before Lexar's announcement.

If you do get the D500 though, you'll be somewhat hooked... Different beast to the K3. Different cameras, different purposes.

Back