Nikon 24-120 F4 or 24-70 2.8

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
I am looking into getting either of the lens but I am stuck which to get..

The 24-70 is great for Low light and being a fast lens. Think it meant to be sharper and best of the both Optical?

The 24-120 I like the idea of the extra reach and the VR built in but will it be fast enough for low light will i need that aperture ..

What you guys suggest pls?

What will you be using it for?

Well for everything hopefully LOL as I don't want a huge collection of lens..

Images of Daughter out about and indoor and landscape..

Well for everything hopefully LOL as I don't want a huge collection of lens..

Images of Daughter out about and indoor and landscape..

Well the 24-120 is a much better 'general purpose/walkabout' lens, I sold my 24-70 and bought one and it is so much more versatile.

But is there anything you miss on the 24-70? i.e. the 2.8?

Is the picture quality as good as I keep reading report that the 24-70 is much sharper

But is there anything you miss on the 24-70? i.e. the 2.8?

Is the picture quality as good as I keep reading report that the 24-70 is much sharper

I don't miss anything, especially not the weight ... the 24-70 is probably a bit sharper but not by much and the VR on the 24-120 is very useful.

Like Gramps, I used to have a 24-70 f/2.8 and now have a 24-120 f/4. Personally, I'm not a fan of the shallower DoF that a wider aperture can give so found I was very rarely using the f/2.8 lens wide open. The 24-70 may be marginally sharper but whether the difference is enough to show at your end use (print size, screen resolution, amount of cropping etc.) is for you to decide. I also like a bit of overlap so if I am aiming mainly at wideish angles but might need a little reach, the extra 50mm the slower lens offers can be handy!

Back