Nikon 24-120 F4 vs Tamron 24-70 2.8

Name
Greg
Edit My Images
Yes
I currently have a Nikon 24-120 F4 which I use on a D750. It's great and has actually impressed me in terms of IQ. However weddings are becoming a focus and although I currently use flash, I'm sure that at some point I'll come up against a no flash vicar! With this in mind I was thinking about making the switch to the Tamron 24-70 2.8. I've used the 28-75 in the past and had thought about it again, but I really don't want to loose the width at the wide end.

The prices for the Tamron S/H aren't a million miles away from what I would hope to sell the 24-120 for if I did switch ( its a grey import kit lens so I'm thinking about £400) so it is feasible financially. With the resolution of the D750 I'm not too worried about loosing the range. There are a couple of things that do concern me though, and I'd love input on these.

First off AF- How is it in low light, and also how fast and accurate?

Secondly sample variation - I've had Tamrons before and when you get a good one they can be excellent, but there seems to be a huge variation in quality between copies of the same lens. Panamoz no longer stock the Tamron 24-70 .28 because they had so many come back. So has anyone had a lemon?

I'm not making any decisions yet, as I say the 24-120 is a damn good lens, but i still think the 2.8 could be an advantage down the line.

Any thoughts?

I really like my 24-120F4 too, I think it's one of the "unsung heros" in the Nikon line-up. Having said that I don't do weddings but if I did I'd get the fastest lens I could

Simon

Back