Nikon 24-120mm IF-ED VR

Name
Mike Simpson
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking to upgrade my kit lens (18-55mm) to something with decent zoom, reasonably wide depth of field, and small enough to be comfortable to use as hand-held. Looking around, the 24-120mm AF-S VR seems to be the best lens for the money, is this assumption correct? :p The lens is £315 from onestop, which is considerable cheaper than the £530 quoted by jessops :eek:

I've also been interested in the nikon 18-135mm IF-ED DX, which has a wider focal range, but doesn't have the vibration reduction of the 24-120mm. What are the pros and cons of these two lens, and is the VR really worth the odd £100 more than the 18-135mm?

Thanks,

Mike

I havent heard particularly great things about either lenses tbh. The zoom range means that certain compromises have to be made in the optical construction which leads to slightly poorer image quality, especially around sharpness and barrel distortion.

If you can stretch to it, probably the best of these kind of lenses is the Nikon 18-200 VR. It is expensive though.

If you cant stretch to the Nikkor 18-200VR then Sigma have recently released the 18-200 OS (Optical Stabalizer). Cheaper and would assume the IQ to be pretty good too.

King.

Unfortunately the 18-200 VR is out of budget, and the 18-200 OS isn't HSM, so will not AF with my camera.

The reviews i have read on the 24-120 have been very mixed. Some say its extremely soft, and a very low quality nikon lens. Others say its sharp at all zoom ranges, is well built, and they never take it off their camera. Does anyone know at what focal length the 24-120 becomes f5.6?

Unfortunately the 18-200 VR is out of budget, and the 18-200 OS isn't HSM, so will not AF with my camera.

The reviews i have read on the 24-120 have been very mixed. Some say its extremely soft, and a very low quality nikon lens. Others say its sharp at all zoom ranges, is well built, and they never take it off their camera. Does anyone know at what focal length the 24-120 becomes f5.6?

85mm according to Thom Hogan's review ... Paul ;)

Bud of mine has the 24-120 (poor fella shoots Nikon:D )

I have seen lots of his stuff shot with this lens and I think it is a super cracking lens.

If this lens would fit on a Canon I would buy it immediately OR if I eventually Buy a Nikon it would purely be to be able to use this lens...(y)

New lens will have to wait, i'm gonna have to stick with the kit lens for a few months, and will go for the 18-200mm VR.

Motorbikes are expensive :(

I havent heard particularly great things about either lenses tbh. The zoom range means that certain compromises have to be made in the optical construction which leads to slightly poorer image quality, especially around sharpness and barrel distortion.

If you can stretch to it, probably the best of these kind of lenses is the Nikon 18-200 VR. It is expensive though.

The optical compromises are surely greater with a 10x zoom than a 5x zoom :shrug:

We have 2 24-120mm lenses, both are excellent performers.....

Am i going to beat the performance and zoom capability of 24-120, by choosing anything else in the similar price bracket? (£300 max)
Or should i hold out a couple of months and get the 500 odd quid 18-200mm VRII?

You can get an AI or AIS 105/2.5 that will absolutely kick its arse in terms of image quality for rather less than that, if you choose to deal with manual.

However, for what you're looking at, the best compromise is probably the 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5

Ffordes seem to have a bunch of them used in E++ condition.

I need either a AF-S or HSM lens, i can't be dealing with manual focus in low light conditions :p

I am NOT the Nikon expert but our local Nikon guys have been in the game for decades and they have NOTHING GOOD TO SAY about the 18-200.

:shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

PS yay!! 400 posts

I am NOT the Nikon expert but our local Nikon guys have been in the game for decades and they have NOTHING GOOD TO SAY about the 18-200.

:shrug: :shrug: :shrug:
PS yay!! 400 posts

How come its back ordered for about 2 months then? There must be something good about it. For a start the focal range it covers is very handy, i heard the VRII is excellent and really works. The only bad thing is the price, and thats because its in such high demand. Stores can wack there price up knowing people will still buy it.

Saying that, the sigma 70-200mm f2.8 HSM macro is looking good :love:

I could use my kit lens for when i needed a wider angle, or later on invest in a 50mm f1.8 & 10-20mm hsm.

I need either a AF-S or HSM lens, i can't be dealing with manual focus in low light conditions :p

Why don't you consider the new EX DC 70-300 f/2,3 which is being launched by Sigma soon ??

:naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

Sorry old man, sucked all of this out of my thumb but didn't think it would have been fair to let you wonder much longer...

Hmm theres a nikon 24-120mm AF-S VR on eBay at the moment for £229 buy it now. Apparently its in excellent condition. This lens is £500+ at jessops new, and just over £315 with onestop. So tempted :bonk:

hi guys, may i know what is the price for a AFS 105mm VR IF-ED f2.8 and AFS 18-200mm VR lens?

hi guys, may i know what is the price for a AFS 105mm VR IF-ED f2.8 and AFS 18-200mm VR lens?

From the UK look at www.camerapricebuster.co.uk
From HK look at www.onestop-digital.com

Highly recommend you PM Kerso from these Forums as he recently told us he was going to stock Nikon lenses as well as Canon and will get hold of stuff that is scarce when others cannot (like the 18-200mm or 70-300mm VR's)

HTH ... Paul ;)

If it's help whatsoever nearly all (if not all) the shots in this thread were taken with the 24-120mm Nikkor....

Kids in Como

When I used to own nikon kit, I had the 24-120VR.
I found it to be very soft at both ends of the zoom range.
Build quality was excellent, but unfortunately that doesn't carry across to the images.

Have you looked at what third party manufacturers have to offer?
Sigma and Tamron have some excellent offerings that may cover the range
your after.

Back