Nikon 24-70 F2.8 zoom issue

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
No
Guys, just bought a used 24-70 f2.8 and I've been giving it a work out this weekend and the zoom isn't smooth it feels a little notchy as you pull back down towards the 24mm end.

I've seen a couple of people mention this kind of 'issue' in the past.

Is it a common fault ? Anyone know what Nikon charge to sort this kind of thing out ? or should I just live with it ?

From what i have read, this normally requires a full strip and re-lube to fix (theres a youtube video of a guy doing exactly this). Apparently it can get worse to the point of it effectively locking up (you might be lucky though). As others have said, if you can return it do so and look for another.

Cant return it, bought it used, guess I'll have to throw it in to Nikon for a service / repair

Mine has done this after a few years ownership from new. I would be interested to know how you get on fixing this and the quote given as I was scared of by the near £300 quote mentioned by a colleague who had enquired also.

Wow, the youtube video showed just how straight forward it was, now the thought of waving a small screwdriver near my lens fills me with dread, but if someone is going to charge £300 for that they are clearly taking the p***, the bloke in the youtube video does it in about 7 minutes

From what I can gather this is fairly common with lots of use, I had similar a few years ago, especially at the wide end, from memory was around £180 to have repaired at Nikon.

Last edited:
We get problems with the zoom and focus mechanisms of the Nikon 14-24 and 24-70 all the time. We've watched the DIY videos but personally I'm happy to send them off to Nikon and pay them to do it.

From what I can gather this is fairly common with lots of use, I had similar a few years ago, especially at the wide end, from memory was around £180 to have repaired at Nikon.

Thanks for this. I may get mine fixed towards end of the year then. It only annoys me when it jars a bit when trying to quickly recompose a shot when shooting video.

WOW £180 ??

I spoke to Nikon via their website and they claimed they knew nothing of these problems and couldn't give a price I just had to send the lens to them and then wait for the price :(

I hope this problem doesn't occur on the 70-200 f/2.8 VR 11 as I recently bought one !!!

We get problems with the zoom and focus mechanisms of the Nikon 14-24 and 24-70 all the time. We've watched the DIY videos but personally I'm happy to send them off to Nikon and pay them to do it.

Don't you have your own technicians Stewart? I would have thought you would, with your type of business.

Don't you have your own technicians Stewart? I would have thought you would, with your type of business.
Yeah, but no, but...

We can do minor jobs ourselves. But for anything which involves stripping a lens down, the availability of documentation and the availability of spare parts are issues. Plus, although the hourly rates I pay my staff are less than the manufacturers charge for service technicians, I expect that people who are doing this sort of thing all day are going to be considerably more efficient. Plus, they have expensive equipment to calibrate lenses after they've put them back together, and I can't justify that sort of investment yet.

When put like that, it makes sense at present when you weigh everything up.

It came to me when I have watched the American hire company doing some repairs/reviews of stripping lenses, but they are covering a larger market population so possibly do more in-house.

Back