Nikon 24-70 need advise

Name
Damian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Was on a recent shoot and my beloved sigma 17-50mm f2. 8 fell from my bag and landed filter edge down. Cracking the plastic and causing the zoom to stick every now and again and during long exposures I am noticing a drift where I believe the image stabilisation (even turned off) is causing a problem.

The lens still works, but obviously not going to last forever..

So decided this will be the time to get the 24-70.

Looking at the second hand market the prices are quite desirable for the older models. If I go down that route will I be losing out more than I realise?

Or should I be buying a vr lens?

Or is it all a false economy and I should be looking at another brands or lens?

Thoughts?

Hi all,

Was on a recent shoot and my beloved sigma 17-50mm f2. 8 fell from my bag and landed filter edge down. Cracking the plastic and causing the zoom to stick every now and again and during long exposures I am noticing a drift where I believe the image stabilisation (even turned off) is causing a problem.

The lens still works, but obviously not going to last forever..

So decided this will be the time to get the 24-70.

Looking at the second hand market the prices are quite desirable for the older models. If I go down that route will I be losing out more than I realise?

Or should I be buying a vr lens?

Or is it all a false economy and I should be looking at another brands or lens?

Thoughts?
I’m assuming you’re using an APS-C camera (Dx in Nikon terms) if you’ve been using the 17-50mm in which case the 24-70mm might not be wide enough as it gives a 36mm FOV on APS-C cameras.

Just to agree with the guys, if using APS-C then go for another 17-55 or similar. If planning a move to Fx, wait until you know whether going mirrorless or staying DSLR, then choose a native lens.

Prices are favourable for the 24-70G non-VR Nikkor as most people are trading them for the VR or the Z. Centre-wise the old lens is as good as the new one, the newer lenses have the edge on the edges, not such a thing for DX format......

If you can live with losing 6mm at the widest end, it's great. If you need VR then there is always the 24-120/4 - the 16-80/2.8-4 DX is the APS-C version - rarer and therefore more expensive.

If your sticking with DX then try the Nikon 16-80 f2.8 to f4 it's lovely lens
Apologies for starting this thread and never coming back. I ended up having to do work and didn't get a chance to explore. So I tried this lens and it is going back. Overall I found it to be really soft! and the one I had potentially had a problem as it was soft in the centre. Thanks for the recommendation though. Would have been a good lens!

Example: Not pin sharp for F9 on a tripod but as you can see the R8 is "sharp" but that handle and glass is soft!

Attachments

• example1.JPG
    example1.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 15
I did have the Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G IF-ED but at the time felt it offered no upgrade over my sigma and when I bought it, was almost double its value now.

Potentially feel it might be this. Any other contenders in this range? I have looked but doesn't feel there are many options.

What about another Sigma ? I have had the 17-70 f2.8/4 DC OS HSM in the past and it was a lovely sharp lens. Cheap and plenty around to hopefully find a good one.

What about another Sigma ? I have had the 17-70 f2.8/4 DC OS HSM in the past and it was a lovely sharp lens. Cheap and plenty around to hopefully find a good one.
Looked into that and apparently it is the same as the 17-55 but a few places I read basically described the same issue I had with the Nikon. From reading it would appear this softness appears when you start to zoom in when the range is that great.

I was pushed today though to buy the Nikon 17-55mm. I was on a shoot and the zoom locked out. Couldn't get it to extend so feel that might have been the end. Thankfully there was a 17-55 Nikon on Wex with everything.

Back