Nikon 24-70 VR

• Thread starter Deleted member 66768
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 66768

Just seen a review of sorts over at Nikon rumors and the old version of the lens looks to be optically better lol. Not as sharp and more vignetting! Maybe the reviewer got a crap copy... (Apparently this was one of 2 sent out by nikon, the bad copy is doubtful)

Basically if you want a 24-70 with stabilisation grab the tamron lol

Last edited by a moderator:
The old one was too big, but the new VR unit is just massive ! Won't find it's way into my bag anytime soon.

It will indeed. Not a fan of any 24-70 to be honest. Never liked any version of it on Canon or Nikon

24-70 is definitely my favourite and most versatile Nikon lens. Have never missed VR on it and the price of the new one is ridiculously high. I'll be sticking with what I have, regardless of reviews.

I find a 35 and 85 combo to be infinitely better. I could never put my finger on why exactly but I just didn't enjoy shooting a 24-70.

I find a 35 and 85 combo to be infinitely better. I could never put my finger on why exactly but I just didn't enjoy shooting a 24-70.

I've always felt a little like this. I've owned two or three of them in the past but never felt inclined to hold onto them. The results are great, and they're built really nicely but I couldn't get excited about using it. I shot a wedding with one and it was ideal for that but I still sold it the week after!

I've always felt a little like this. I've owned two or three of them in the past but never felt inclined to hold onto them. The results are great, and they're built really nicely but I couldn't get excited about using it. I shot a wedding with one and it was ideal for that but I still sold it the week after!

I had one as well a few years ago and echo your thoughts. Really nice lens but didn't totally captivate me and it's a big old beast. Primes for me now.

26 years as a pro and never had or used a VR lens and have never felt I have missed a shot due to not having it!. I certainly can't see the point of it at 24-70 so will stick with the copy that I have for the foreseeable future.

Been using the old faithful Nikkor 24-70 for about 4-5 years now and can't say that VR would be of any significant benefit to me especially for the £600 or so markup in price for the new lens! I know it'll drop in price after a while but nearly £2k for a 24-70?! I'll stick with the workhorse I've got.

I ordered one of these and got it a couple of weeks ago... then sent it straight back to Calumet (NOT an easy process... but that's another story!)

First off it was faulty, serious focusing problems... On top of that it felt a lot bigger and heavier than I was expecting, based on the figures and images I was expecting a fairly minor increase in bulk over the old model but it felt huge... I won't be getting another and will keep my current non VR. When the old lens discontinues I reckon it'll become a sought after classic!

Back