Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8G ED AF-S NIKKOR

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
No
How good is the following lens on an FX body (in comparison to a DX body)?

I need input from people that own it or have used it extensively. ;o)

Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8G ED AF-S NIKKOR

Not used it on DX format but have extensively used it on the D3. Tack sharp, fast auto focus, a joy to use. One of my favourite lenses. Its fantastic in ever respect.

Gary.

This lens is much more suited to a full frame body, the focal length is wasted IMHO on DX.

There is some vignetting which some folks like to moan about but this is just a fact of life on full frame sensors.

For me personally, I don't find the lens hugely compelling (I have a stellar sample of the Tamron 28-75 which matches the 24-70 blow for blow) but the 24-70 is superb, and probably one of the top 3 lenses you can get for a full frame Nikon.

BTW I do still own it:

DSC_0259-trinity.jpg

But the lens on my D700 is generally the Tamron 28-75, not the 24-70 (due to size more than anything)

I use it on both DX and FX and it is the dog's danglies. As Gary says it is very sharp. It is what is on my camera most of the time. (y)

Chris :)

I got one for my D700 a couple of months ago and am very pleased with it

hogswatch-00000044wtmk.jpg

I also use one on a D700 .. very sharp and lives on the camera all the time

I used mine with my D70, D200 and D300 and was very pleased with it, with the exception of when at 24/2.8 up to 24/4 it had a serious front focus issue. I thought about not wanting to fuss about this, but in the end I have had to sent it back for service.

It's been with Nikon for almost a month now:bat:, and I am not all too pleased with that.

With the exeception of that glitch, which Nikon can't seem to find the cause of it, and don't want to replace the lens as yet .. the lens is very sharp, and what I loved most about it is the minimum focus distance (y)

It is one of those things, do you spend that kind of money on this zoom, or spend a bit more on "better" primes that cover the range? If I could go back and do it all over again, I would not get this lens to be honest. I would much rather pick-up a few faster primes.

What about the "Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 EX DG Macro (Nikon AF)"? How does it compare?

It's been with Nikon for almost a month now:bat:, and I am not all too pleased with that.

The 24mm focus issue is quite well documented. Apparently Nikon can fix it.

Can't say I've noticed a problem with mine - I don't think wide open f/2.8 is particularly good compared to the 17-35 @ f/2.8 or the 14-24 @ f/2.8 or the Tamron 28-75 @ 28mm f/2.8 though.

At 24mm you also have some pretty strong field curvature which may well look like a focus problem (this is normal and not a fault)

This lens is much more suited to a full frame body, the focal length is wasted IMHO on DX.

There is some vignetting which some folks like to moan about but this is just a fact of life on full frame sensors.

For me personally, I don't find the lens hugely compelling (I have a stellar sample of the Tamron 28-75 which matches the 24-70 blow for blow) but the 24-70 is superb, and probably one of the top 3 lenses you can get for a full frame Nikon.

BTW I do still own it:

DSC_0259-trinity.jpg

But the lens on my D700 is generally the Tamron 28-75, not the 24-70 (due to size more than anything)

Andy, you have waaaay too many lenses (he says whilst trying to control his jealousy). :D

Andy

Actually I'm working on a little article about an "alternative" trinity for those who don't want to consider the conventional Nikkor 14-24 / 28-75 and 70-200 VR trinity.

All three of those Tamron lenses there are absolutely first rate.

What about the "Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 EX DG Macro (Nikon AF)"? How does it compare?

Sigma 24-70mm is a nice lens but a bit on the big side, also sigma sometimes have quality control issues, having said that the 24-70mm i had was a great copy, i do believe they have just bought out a new 24-70mm with HSM, which i think is not so heavy so i'm waiting to see the reviews on this one, if not i think i will go for a tamron 28-75mm as i've heard very good things about it.

Sigma 24-70mm is a nice lens but a bit on the big side, also sigma sometimes have quality control issues, having said that the 24-70mm i had was a great copy, i do believe they have just bought out a new 24-70mm with HSM, which i think is not so heavy so i'm waiting to see the reviews on this one, if not i think i will go for a tamron 28-75mm as i've heard very good things about it.

Yeah, I'm starting to consider the tamron as well - been reading lots of good reviews...

Not sure if this was already answered, but is the tamron 28-75mm built for FX or DX? I just got the D700, so I wouldn't want any surprizes :p

Actually I'm working on a little article about an "alternative" trinity for those who don't want to consider the conventional Nikkor 14-24 / 28-75 and 70-200 VR trinity.

All three of those Tamron lenses there are absolutely first rate.

Andy

How do you you rate the Tamron 70-200 .. i was looking at the Nikon 80-200ED .. can't afford the Nikon 70-200VR

I saw a review which raved about the Tamrons optics but was critical on focusing problems it had

Thanks

Oh .. I assume it's this one

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=1027468

Simon

Hi Simon

Optically the Tamron 70-200 is a stunner.

For autofocus, well frankly it feels like its been driven by little mice on wheels. Its quite slow. I don't give a monkeys about camera and auto focus speed... so for me to comment that something is slow means it S....L....O.....W

There are no focusing problems per se - its accurate, but it takes its time.. over 1 second to close from minimum focus to infinity, and close to 2 seconds going back the other way.

Hi Simon

Optically the Tamron 70-200 is a stunner.

For autofocus, well frankly it feels like its been driven by little mice on wheels. Its quite slow. I don't give a monkeys about camera and auto focus speed... so for me to comment that something is slow means it S....L....O.....W

There are no focusing problems per se - its accurate, but it takes its time.. over 1 second to close from minimum focus to infinity, and close to 2 seconds going back the other way.

Do you think it'd work for a wedding? Or is the AF too slow for that?

If you shoot AF-C and let the lens keep pace it'll be OK.

If you lose focus with AF-S and the lens need to re-focus there is a good chance of a missed shot. The motor in this lens is quite odd, its gets to almost the correct spot very quickly, then micro-adjusts into the correct spot. This micro adjustment takes at least 60-70% of the total focus time.

It sounds good and is cheaper than the Nikon :thinking:

What do I do :bonk: .. AF speed is not critical as long as it's accurate .. i want the better optics :help:

Is the 24-70 2.8 easily available?

Reason asking is that WE always have it as "place on backorder"

The 24mm focus issue is quite well documented. Apparently Nikon can fix it.

Can't say I've noticed a problem with mine - I don't think wide open f/2.8 is particularly good compared to the 17-35 @ f/2.8 or the 14-24 @ f/2.8 or the Tamron 28-75 @ 28mm f/2.8 though.

At 24mm you also have some pretty strong field curvature which may well look like a focus problem (this is normal and not a fault)

It sure was focusing problem. I tested it, thought it was the field curvature thingi, so I left it be. Then, a few days later, did a more rigurous test and there is no way I can say that the issue was anything other than a serious front focus problem.

Nikon are convinced, it seems, of the problem as they have tried to just change the chipset thinking that would resolve the issue. Well, it didn't. They now tell me it's something to do with the software :shrug::shrug:. That the fist time I hear this, but there you go ... you learn something new every day.

Well, I hope they can fix it; it is bother me BIG time especially since this is not just at 24/2.8, but all the way to 24/4 .. even kit lenses get the focus right at 24/4

I have been looking at the 17-35/2.8; it may be worth getting while this is being resolved, plus the extra range 17-24 is something I need. I am getting seriously bugged by the time it is taking to fix.

As for the Tamron 28-75, it's not wide enough for my needs ... and the 14-24 is just not my piece of cake, sadly.

Well the 17-35 is quite sharp and focuses fine but really Nikon should be able fix this.

I've certainly heard of more than a report of problems at 24mm, both here, Nikon Cafe and DPReview. Nikon USA can fix it, so should the folks in Richmond.

I don't think its an endemic problem though.

I just checked Jessops and Calumet to see if they have the Tamron 28-75 (nikon fit) in stock, and neither of them do (in all of London). The guy at Jessops told me that it's not even in their catalogue...

Anyone know any other trustworthy shops that may have it in stock?

I just checked Jessops and Calumet to see if they have the Tamron 28-75 (nikon fit) in stock, and neither of them do (in all of London). The guy at Jessops told me that it's not even in their catalogue...

Anyone know any other trustworthy shops that may have it in stock?

The newer version with a focus motor is out now (but hard to find), so some stores may not have any stock at all, some may have the older stock, and some might have newer stock with a motor.

If you don't need a motor for a D40 / D40x / D60 my advice would be to pick one up without a motor, as AF driven by your camera body is sure to be quicker.

Anyone know if the new Sigma 24-70mm 2.8 HSM is available anywhere yet, or when it will be available as i can't find anyone selling them :shrug:

The newer version with a focus motor is out now (but hard to find), so some stores may not have any stock at all, some may have the older stock, and some might have newer stock with a motor.

If you don't need a motor for a D40 / D40x / D60 my advice would be to pick one up without a motor, as AF driven by your camera body is sure to be quicker.

Yay! I just reserved one at one of the Jacobs stores for pickup tomorrow - without the motor since I have a D700.

Back