Nikon 24-85 vr vs 24-120 vr as walk about?

JJ!

Edit My Images
No
So there are mixed reviews online about these 2 lenses. Some say the 24-85 is just as sharp and a better choice and some saying the 24-120 is one of the best non 2.8 lenses out there.

So after some full frame user opinions.

General walk about lens to do a bit of everything.

Never used a 24-85 but I love my 24-120 f4 ... if I'm off out and just want to take the camera and a single lens to shoot 'whatever I find on the way', it is always the 24-120 for its quality and versatility.

Longer reach could come in handy. How's the zoom ring? Fairly stiff? Any signs or creep?

Never used a 24-85 but I love my 24-120 f4 ... if I'm off out and just want to take the camera and a single lens to shoot 'whatever I find on the way', it is always the 24-120 for its quality and versatility.

+1(y)

Longer reach could come in handy. How's the zoom ring? Fairly stiff? Any signs or creep?

No stiffness and no creep, just works well and gives me a good range to cover most eventualities.

Thanks people. Plenty of positives for the 24-120 on here!

So there are mixed reviews online about these 2 lenses. Some say the 24-85 is just as sharp and a better choice and some saying the 24-120 is one of the best non 2.8 lenses out there.

So after some full frame user opinions.

General walk about lens to do a bit of everything.

Sharpness wise I'd guess it would depend somewhat whether your using it on a FX or DX camera, most reviews I'v seen have the 24-85mm just as sharp or sharper than the 24-120mm in the center but a bit softer in the boarders so the latter would likely only have an advantage on FX.

Besides that and the range the main difference seems to be build, the 24-120mm while still plastic is likely a bit tougher and is I believe fully weather sealed rather than just on the mount.

Also find the 85-120 end is extremely useful and unlike a lot of reviews I find it incredibly sharp at 120mm which sort of keeps me from rushing out and buying the 70-200 (yep I know I will still end up buying one of these sooner or later).

It will be on FX. Thanks for all the views, the 24-120 seems the best choice.

I use the 24-85 f2.8 - 4 D and am happy. Careful, there are different 24-85, and according to the reviews, this one is better than the others, but even some reviews seem to get them mixed up, you really have to pay attention to detail.

Hi, I've used both on a D800 and much prefer the 24-85 (latest version). Optically it is sharper and the contrast seems better, no problems with softness in the corners but like all lenses it's better when stopped down a bit. It handles very well indeed.

I too am considering these lenses, I have used a friends 24-70 pin sharp, but I guess it's the funds, would someone be kind enough to pop a portrait type image up straight out of camera with no sharpening from the 24-120 at f4, maybe give us some idea

Manzurov made a comprehensive sharpness comparison between the 24-70 and 24-120 f/4... http://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-24-120mm-f4g-vr

An interesting review and reflects why I sold my 24-70 and replaced it with the 24-120 ...

After shooting with this lens for about 3 weeks and capturing over 1,800 images, I can say that the lens exceeds my expectations and I found it to be more useful than my favorite Nikon 24-70mm lens not only due to longer focal range, but also due to Vibration Reduction that is extremely useful for low-light situations. I managed to get sharp images hand-held while shooting at extremely slow shutter speeds of 1/2 seconds at 24mm – try that with the Nikon 24-70mm!

Got the latest g version of the 24-85 on my d700. Great sharp lens. Bought it over the 24-120 because the reviews were better and it was cheaper. Yes the extra range always comes in handy, but usually at a price. And anyway, I've got the 70-200 f/4, so my two compliment each other.

That's impressive. Think i will give the 24-120 a go.

Thank you for the links to the review, very interesting, and thank you Nick for the images, it certainly helps, I don't know anyone near who has bought one, that I could try out, so thanks again.

Back