Nikon 24-85 VR vs Tamron 28-75 f2.8 very basic test/comparison

JJ!

Edit My Images
No
Hello and welcome to my very basic test and comparison of these two lenses.

When I was debating the 28-75 it was mentioned to test both and see what was best, so here is my initial thoughts and test shots.

The lens was for general purpose, indoors and outdoors, portraits, animals, places etc.

Firstly the lenses...

10294668974_32e1a2d7e0_c.jpg

Build and handling

The Nikon, even though a 'kit lens' has the much better build. It almost feels tank like compared to the Tamron! Nothing loose, barrel is firm and the zoom is nice. Neither too loose or tight. My only gripe is that its quite a stubby lens and almost feels too short for a zoom. It really is very compact, but also wider than the Tamron.

The Tamron whoever feels fairly cheap. To be honest, if I am feeling mean, I would compare it to the 18-55 VR build wise. The zoom ring has a tiny bit of play, the barrel wobbles slightly and the plastic is fairly low grade. Besides this it does however have a nice weight to it and is nice and compact. You would never think it was a constant f2.8 lens. Again handling wise, my major gripe is the spinning focus ring. If keep having part of my hand on it as it spins away!

Build and handling wise, this is most certainly +1 to the Nikon.

Focus speed and accuracy do seem pretty equal, maybe the Nikon is a tad quicker. The Tamron seems fairly quick considering this one has the BIM. The only time you notice its slower is when you are focusing from one end to the other. I wouldn't put either lens ahead of the other and focus seems accurate on both. No clear winner hear.

DOF - clear winner is of course the Tamron. You can get extreme out of focus shots all the way through the range. That saying, the Nikon does not do a bad job. This is largely due to it having f4.5 at 85mm, rather than the normal f5.6 on most zooms. Also, being FX, you get a much better DOF compared to the equal f-stop on DX. So if you use these lenses on FX, your results will differ a great deal.

So all in all, this is +1 to the Tamron.

IQ and Sharpness...

Difficult one to call with my limited testing! Main aim of this mini test was too see how the lenses performed indoors (at fairly high ISO). I'm pretty sure outdoors they will be very similar. Both sets of photos have plus points and negative points. The VR certainly helps the Nikon keep up with the Tamron in sharpness and IQ and I think I prefer the slight colour change from the Nikon, although looking over them a 2nd time, I'm not sure!

Again, tough one to call, but pretty equal.

So what have I concluded? Firstly, please note this test may not be for everyones benefit, and I am not comparing my results to the mighty 24-70 f2.8 Nikon, but here goes.

There is no doubting having a constant f2.8 zoom is beneficial and the results you can get just cant be replicated by a variable aperture lens.

Saying that, with the ISO capabilities of the D600 (and no doubt the D800, D610 etc) the 24-85 is also a very capable lens.

If you need constant f2.8 on a budget, the Tamron is a no brainer. That's if you can live with the build quality.

Of course, the Nikon may not be for everyones taste either, so feel free to take my results and conclusion as a pinch of salt!

I'm very much on the fence with this decision. One has to go and one has to stay.

Having done a few more around the house shots, I'm beginning to see the benefits of the Tamron. If I can live with the build quality I'm sure we will get along just fine. Lens shows no sign of creep unless you shake it a bit and it does move downwards, but looking around at the www, its not uncommon. Saying that... it has a lock switch, which is a handy edition.

Anyway... some photos in the next 2 posts...

Last edited:
Tamron pics on top

10294542883_d9696a6af2_c.jpg

10294721323_9b3ef57c21_c.jpg

10294458975_61eda6f99d_c.jpg

10294628616_f74d904314_c.jpg

10294383974_baeb033bc5_c.jpg

10294655136_b2b0a5cdd9_c.jpg

Looking at the bottom two, the Tamron has actually produced much better colours around the scarf.

Last edited:
Tamron pics on top

10294519285_2ef8d84b14_c.jpg

10294693035_c9b8bbd122_c.jpg

10294447554_58a8e29d92_c.jpg

10294621274_a68dc81cf5_c.jpg

10294581925_d635e6b995_c.jpg

10294754395_81b4ae5ea3_c.jpg

I have the 28-75 tamron as due to my dislike/minimal use of this range I opted for the cheapest best alternative. It stunned me how well it performed on the D800. Nothing but good things to say about this lens considering its relative cost compared to the Nikon 24-70 etc

I'm going for another outdoor test run before I fully decide.

I've got both these lenses albeit my Tamron is the NONE BIM version.
My first thoughts are that this lens has a very narrow DOF. F/2.8 is almost unusable, unless you are spot on with your focus. And even at F/8 be careful at the edges. Things are not always sharp! But I'm being very critical here. Currently my Nikon 24-85 is in the cupboard and the Tamron on the D700

This DOF is ather good - all Tamron pics above were at f2.8.

I've had two tamron lenses and they are hands down the best value for money lenses I own. I had the crop equivalent on the d90 (17-50 f2.8 non VC) and the mighty 28-75 f2.8 non BIM (I also briefly had the BIM version too - no difference in IQ just focusing speed)

Loads of shots with the two variants on my Flickr.

For me, I wanted the nikkor, but at over 1k it was always expensive (I was waiting on getting the 70-200 vr2 at the time). The plan was to have this as a stop gap until I could afford it but it performs so well and is so light in comparison that I doubt I'll ever sell it! The iq is great and its had a stern test on the d800!

S

I have decided to keep the tamron. Build quality aside, I think it's the better lens. Plus it has 5 year warranty if anything fails!

I paid the slight extra to get a new uk copy. It was £349.99 from WEX with free delivery which I think is a great price. Plus I already have a filter from my 16-85 which fits.

Excellent comparison JJ with unbiased and frank observations that finally led you to decide keeping the Tamron.

The 24-85 images appear sharper, but that could be due to the shallow DoF of the Tamron at 2.8

I have a D600 kit now just like yours and I would like to hear your thoughts on my thought process and considerations below.

I like doing portraits and love the shallow DoF and know that the Tamron will give me at least a stop of advantage on low light and better shallow DoF. I have the option of selling the 24-85 and getting the Tamron like you did, but here's my dilemma.

I have the 50mm F1.8G and 85F1.8G for portraits and amazing shallow DoF and don't need another lens for portraits. Even the Tamron 70-300 VC USD I have can do good portraits beyond 135mm.

I need a good walk around lens for travel, landscape and general shooting and hence I am keen to keep the 24-85 and can change into the 50 1.8G when I am shooting street or locations in night for speed and noise free images.

Since I do not intend to buy any other lenses soon, the extra 4mm wide and extra 9 mm telephoto of the 24-85 against the Tamron is making me think about keeping the Nikon. Plus the extra advantage of 4 stop VR will be useful in low lights.

My questions to you-

How do you find the Tamron as a walk around lens compared to the Nikon?
If you can have only one budget walk around lens which one would you keep?

Just want to know your thoughts since you have tested both.

My Flickr

Lens shows no sign of creep unless you shake it a bit and it does move downwards
Lens creep is usually caused by wear because owners "shake it about a bit" to see if they can make it creep

I honestly think that the Tamron would still be the better option. My tests showed me that the VR, although beneficial, does not make a huge difference at this focal length.

Although you have the primes for low light, there may come the moment where you find yourself in dim light with the 24-85 thinking you could really do with f2.8!

Not sure the "F/2.8 for low light" really fits any more with such great ISO performance from latter day Nikons. For me the F/2.8 was as much about a bright viewfinder.
Just be careful with using the Tamron at F2.8. That shallow DOF is very unforgiving. And keep anything important away from the edges. Or just don't pixel peep.

I'm interested why others think the build quality is an issue. I guess it's never going to feel like a Nikkor, but I have to say mine feels fine. And the focusing is as quick as the 24-85G VR

I agree high ISO performance is great these days. But I disagree that f2.8 does not fit. No matter how good ISO performance is, surely the lower you can go the better. Also, if light is really bad, you have high ISO performance and f2.8.

Not sure the "F/2.8 for low light" really fits any more with such great ISO performance from latter day Nikons. For me the F/2.8 was as much about a bright viewfinder.
Just be careful with using the Tamron at F2.8. That shallow DOF is very unforgiving. And keep anything important away from the edges. Or just don't pixel peep.

I'm interested why others think the build quality is an issue. I guess it's never going to feel like a Nikkor, but I have to say mine feels fine. And the focusing is as quick as the 24-85G VR
Surely any f/2.8 lens has shallow depth of field wide open!!!!!!!

If yours is poor towards the edges then you must have a bad copy because mine is pin sharp in the centre and very good across the whole frame although i do struggle to see what anyone would be shooting at f/2.8 which requires sharpness right to the edges, its pretty inherent with all lenses other than some ultra wides that you lose edge sharpness due to the relative angle/field of view, at f/2.8 even shooting a brick wall whats at the edge of the frame is further away from the sensor than what youre focussing on in the centre of the frame.

Thanks guys. I had one but sold it and now I'm really regretting it. Not sure if my old copy was BIM or not.

Mine is the BIM version and focus is quick and not really noisy. Has to be one of my favourite lenses since I started in photography.

Back