nikon 24mm f2.8 AF-D versus 24mm f1.4 AF-S ED

Name
Mervyn
Edit My Images
Yes
Am looking at these two lenses for landscapes. The f1.4 version costs four times the older f2.8 version. However, there are some good reviews of the 'cheap' lens.
Would anyone like to comment on whether my landscapes would benefit noticeably by using the dearer lens? Certainly do not f1.4 for tripod landscapes but would the
optical quality be so much better?
merv

Am looking at these two lenses for landscapes. The f1.4 version costs four times the older f2.8 version. However, there are some good reviews of the 'cheap' lens.
Would anyone like to comment on whether my landscapes would benefit noticeably by using the dearer lens? Certainly do not f1.4 for tripod landscapes but would the
optical quality be so much better?
merv

I afraid I can't comment on the F1.4 version Mervyn, but the F2.8D lens is a superb bit of glass.(y)

George.

Have you used one George? It certainly gets good reports. Don't want to spend £1400 when £350 will do the job
Merv

Specifically for landscapes, would the 20mm f1.8 be a better idea? Landscapes can often benefit from a slightly distorted perspective. My preference however would probably be a zoom. As it's not always possible to move around too much. Maybe the 16-35mm f4?

From talking to landscape guys, 24mm seems to be a very popular and commonly used focal length. Yes zooms are more convenient - easier than zooming with your feet!!

Have you used one George? It certainly gets good reports. Don't want to spend £1400 when £350 will do the job
Merv

Yes Mervyn, I use one on my D800 & D800e cameras professionally and on my Fuji X-T1 via an adapter.(y)

George.

Yes Chris I was advised that on the very high resolution cameras like the D800, chromatic aberration becomes an issue.
I am using the D4 which I'm told wont be a problem with its meagre 18Mp! Better not change to the 800 just in case
Interesting George that you have no problems. I'm only an amateur so looks like there's no point in going for the f1.4 and if its good enough for a pro it should be good enough for me!:banana::nikon:

Back